Bananas, Beauties, and Freshman Fails: Exploring Georgetown Via Instagram

Banner - Finstas

As most of you know (and if you don’t, crawl out from under your rock), Georgetown University has a large social media presence. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and more recently, Snapchat make up the various means by which Georgetown makes itself known on the Internet. School administrators and a few students run these accounts, but due to their overwhelming sense of idealism, Georgetown may appear to be a bit too welcoming. We may appear to be hard-to-swallow ~aggressively hospitable~.

Although these social media accounts are managed without flaw, many current students have a hard time admitting that they accurately portray what happens at our beloved school. Have no fear, 4E is here to give you the scoop! Over the last year, several masters of social media have started to portray Georgetown in a more down-to-earth way through the use of finstas, which I’m assuming most, if not all of you know to be fake Instagram accounts. The unnamed “saints” behind these accounts capture moments of Georgetown students’ lives as they happen, not as planned out beforehand. Some of the major accounts include @georgetowndimes, @hoyas_eatin_naners, @couplesatleos, and @gufreshmendointhings. These accounts specialize in Georgetown’s most attractive students, freshman fails, love on the hilltop, and quite literally, students devouring bananas. What a time to be alive!

In order to promote these accounts and thus make your life so much better, I have composed a brief, but ~comprehensive~ exposé on these accounts.

1. @georgetowndimes– Dedicated to recognizing some of Georgetown’s most gorgeous students, this account currently stands at five posts, the first being released on April 18. Not to knock on the person(s) running the account, but I think that the account definitely needs some work. Only five posts in over two months? Come on now. Also, if you’re supposed to be featuring Georgetown’s best-looking students, shouldn’t there at least be more than five? We were voted as one of the colleges with the most attractive student body. On a more positive note, I do commend this account for what it does and its name. It has a ring to it that none of the others have. For those of you interested, here’s the account’s page.

I know I’ve ripped on this account enough, but its ratio is atrocious.
  2. @hoyas_eatin_naners: Interestingly enough, this is actually the second Instagram account that follows bananas at Georgetown. The first, @georgetownbananas, started in September 2014 and its last post was in January 2015, with only nine posts in total. It has since been dormant. Disappointing? Yes. It may be too late to resurrect this account. Now, with @hoyas_eatin_naners, we’re in the big leagues. Setting the standard high with 59 posts in four months, this account is much more active than the one described above (probably the reason it has more followers). Its ratio, with 242 followers and 110 following, is much better than that of @georgetowndimes. The account’s bio? “Every day, hundreds of Leo’s namers lose their lives. These are their stories.” The reference to SVU alone is enough to make people ~go bananas~. Every situation you can think of, from accounting-exam-stress to dartying, involves a banana. The people who run this account (rumor has it they’re sophomores) are to be commended for the fact that they make a Hoya’s day by either featuring them and/or making them laugh.
  3. @couplesatleos– We all see them ~those couples~. They sit together at Leo’s and act like they’re so much better than the rest of us are so happy together.IMG_3405We also see those people who aren’t couples, but are sitting together so they might as well be. IMG_3404This account is dedicated to recording such instances and poking fun at them in a lighthearted manner. With 24 posts in just one month, this account had a strong start. The photos may be not as high-quality as those of @hoyas_eatin_naners, nor may it have a better ratio, but it’s up there with the banana-lover account in my book. It is following 583 other accounts but has 397 followers, thus beating all of the other Georgetown finstas. The plus to this account is that more people probably notice the couples that sit together at Leo’s, not the apparently large amount of bananas that are consumed each day (still a very important issue).
  4. @gufreshmendointhings– Last but not least, we have the account that draws attention to the ups and downs of a freshman’s life. Its ratio is close to that of the account described above, with 383 followers and 598 following. Its bio perfectly lays out what the account covers: “Photos in front of Healy Hall, making out on a Vil A rooftop, first Leo’s date? We see you”. From DFMOs to NSO, @gufreshmendointhings is there to record those moments when freshmen reveal how basic they truly are. IMG_3399Or it reveals how they do things that you don’t really see every day, such as someone brushing his/her teeth in a Lau bathroom.Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 1.26.08 PMRegardless, this account brings us laughs and reminds us of things that either we or our friends did when we were freshmen. Some of the account’s posts cannot be pictured here for obvious reasons, but you get the idea.

Why should you follow these finstas? For one, some of their posts will brighten your day almost immediately (unless you’re featured in an embarrassing one). They also enable you to look further into Georgetown life, beyond those fake amazing videos that the administration posts via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Finally, you should follow them to support your fellow Hoyas behind the accounts (some might just follow you back AND like your photos). The debate over which finsta is the best still continues, so let’s see if it can be settled once and for all.

[playbuzz-game game=”https://www.playbuzz.com/charlie29/Georgetown-Finstas”]

Photos and gifs:  giphy.com, instagram.com, google.com, https://bit.ly/28QwQkm