No Yates, No Problem!

avoidyatesThe leaves are beginning to change color, Halloween is quickly approaching, and the aroma of Pumpkin Spice Lattes fills the air around you, signifying one thing: it’s finally fall!  However, with all of the good comes the bad. Midterms are hitting us like a brick wall, summer tans are definitely fading and your motivation to make the trek to Yates is dwindling fast.  (Seriously though, at this point in the year I consider the stairs to Yates enough of a workout for an entire week…anyone else?). While 4E can’t really do very much to help with midterm struggles and paleness, we do have a few suggestions that should help our fellow Hoyas combat their workout woes.

First off, what many Hoyas fail to realize is that the treacherous journey to Yates really isn’t necessary. I mean who really says you have to go to Yates to exercise?  There are plenty of ways to incorporate a great, sweat-inducing workout into your daily schedule without even considering going to Yates.

Squats in Lab If you happen to be a science student then this workout is perfect for you!  You know how you waste hours of time standing on your feet while waiting for some chemicals you mixed together to react? Yeah?!  Well why not take advantage of that time and use it to work out?  Do a few sets of squats and you’ll definitely be feeling the burn the next day.  Everyone, including your TA, will be in such awe of your ingenuity that they’ll be begging you to let them participate next time.

Calories Burned: 111

Lunges Between Classes Lunges are a fantastic way to target your leg muscles, but why limit yourself to doing them at Yates?  Make use of your spare time between classes by lunging your way through campus!  Don’t worry about looking silly, seriously, no one will judge you for improving your fitness.  Plus, I’m sure a lot of people will move out of your way so you have ample space to work your legs which will help you get to class even faster!

Calories Burned: 98

Impromptu Dance Party:

Bored of studying?  Take a quick study break with this fun-filled workout!  Don’t be shy about busting out your best jazz hands or wop; the more intense, the better the workout.  While you can dance your heart out in the comfort of your room, we highly encouraged you to dance in public places like Lau 2.  Just think of all the people you could inspire with your incredible moves, trust me you’d be making the world a better place!

Calories Burned: 119

Grapevine Through Leo’s:

Have you ever noticed that the music in Leo’s is actually pretty great pump up music?  Well, it is and you should totally use it as motivation for this workout.  Casually grapevine your way from station to station as you begin the hunt for edible food.  Make sure you listen for the beat in the Leo’s playlist so your timing isn’t off, because that would be suuuuuper embarrassing.  By the time you actually find your food you’ll have worked up such an appetite from all the grapevine-ing that you’ll definitely be headed back for seconds!

Calories Burned: 82

Prancercise Through Campus: 

Looking for a great way to get in some cardio, but really hate running?  Then Prancercising is just for you!  According to Prancercise creator, Joanna Rohrback, all you need to do to is grab some ankle weights, play some of your favorite tunes, “stop talkin and do some walkin”.  Basically opting to Prancercise means you get to gallop around campus like a horse, totally functional and totally fun!

Calories Burned: 95

So there you have it, Hoyas!  With these great new exercises you may never have to make your way to Yates ever again.  Just complete the above exercises daily and you’ll be in the best shape of your life.  Total calories burned? 555. Satisfaction from avoiding Yates?  Priceless.

Photos: blogspot.com, somegif.com; Video from: youtube.com