The GU Farmer’s Market Rocks

fairview-farmers-market-tomato-strawberryWhat says “happy hump day” like an hour spent wandering through Red Square blowing all your money? I give you: The GU Farmer’s Market. Here’s a rundown of what’s there, what’s good and what you should totally get.

District Donuts
This is a new addition to the market. The DD tent offers 4-6 flavors each week; the donuts will cost you $3 for 1 or $5 for 2 (yes, the deal did motivate me to go ahead and buy 2). The milk chocolate was fantastic and the “brown butter” is sent straight from heaven.

Chicken and Rice
There is a tent usually to the right of the large colorful caravan that offers paella. This little tent has the best chicken and rice in D.C. at $8 for a pretty good portion. Definitely drown your chicken in the three sauces they have on the side (orange is the best). They also offer empanada-like pastries for $3-5 each; the spinach and feta swirl is amazing.

Crepes
This crepe place rocks. They have a ton of interesting options like Greek chicken and Nutella with banana. My favorite is the “Gorgonzola and Pear” crepe: pear, dates, dried cranberries, pears, spinach and gorgonzola.

Scones
The awesome little white tent near District Donuts has great empanadas and amazing scones. The best scone is dark chocolate and oreo; other options include wild berry, chocolate coffee bean and orange. All the empanadas are also great.

Indian Food
This is a new addition this year! They have this cool thing called “Kati Roll” that’s shaped like a burrito but way cooler. You can choose chicken or vegetables, three different types of bread and a couple of different sauces. I had one with chicken on naan bread and it was life changing. If you’re looking to skip bread, you can get the chicken and toppings served over rice instead.

“Wanna taste my sausage?”
The huge tent lined up alongside Copley offers a number of variations of handmade sausages. They’ve got bratwurst, spicy sausage, smoked sausage, sausages on buns, sausages with peppers, basically any sausage you could ever hope or dream for. They also have a little sample station set up, so you can taste all of the day’s options before choosing your favorite. They have killer lemonade. Like, it must have cocaine or something in it because that stuff is addicting and delicious. Try the mint limeade.

Farm Stand
Since this is a Farmer’s Market, I guess it makes sense that it offers fresh produce. They have really great peaches (yellow or white flesh, to suit your fancy). They also have apples and some other stuff, too.

Bread
The cutest bread tent on earth is tucked away into the corner near the doors of ICC. They have regular bread, biscuits, rolls and dessert bread. My favorite: pumpkin bread.

Waffles
Forget Belgium – Georgetown’s Farmer’s Market has the best waffle in the world. I had a sample last week and cried so much I fainted.

Dumplings
You can get dumplings at the Farmer’s Market. Basically it’s like Mai Tai came to Georgetown, but better.

Wood-fired Pizza
These personal pies look awesome.

Paella
The huge colorful cart has a bunch of different options for paella. Though I haven’t tried it, the line is always long so it must be good.

In short, the Farmer’s Market rocks. Save all your money, fast for three days and come check out all the awesome this Wednesday.

Photo: wedesign.la