Free Food Alert: Head to ShopHouse on Wednesday

ShopHouse Free Bowl

There is almost nothing that brings more joy to a college student than the word “free.” It’s the free things in life that make us smile and jump up and down in our pajamas in the living room (or is that just me?).

So what, you might ask, is the only thing that makes me happier than something free? The answer to that is easy: Food. Free food, the two critical “F”s, are two of the most joy inducing, make-my-day words I could hear. Did you notice what happened when you read “free food”? Your mouth curled into a smile, your vision got blurry, you lost focus on anything school-related and all that was ever bad or stressful melted away. Let me repeat myself: FREE FOOD.

We at 4E have featured the magic that is ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen before. For the whole month of October the ShopHouse at 2805 M St. NW is offering free drinks to all Georgetown students, and this Wednesday (10/8), ShopHouse is having another killer free bowl day from 4 to 9 p.m. for anyone with a GOCard. I know you don’t need any more convincing to go. You’ve already added it to your calendar, started a dashboard countdown and made plans to go with friends. So what am I here for? Well, to help you channel all that excited energy into some productivity, I will help you pick an order. Let’s review how the ShopHouse menu works, shall we?

Pick a base: Rice, noodles or salad. Obviously this is not only a difficult choice but perhaps the most crucial decision you will make. Rice says, “I’m sophisticated, mature and enjoying a culturally ambiguous meal.” Noodles say, “Let’s just have some fun!” Salad pretty much speaks for itself. No matter what you choose, we respect you for making it to ShopHouse and indulging in free food. Go with your heart.

Pick a protein: Chicken, steak, pork and chicken meatballs or tofu. Just my two cents: Do not deviate from your norm here. There is never a right time to experiment with new meats.

Pick a veggie: Now this is the place for experimentation and adventure. We are looking at kale, corn, squash or green beans. Not only do they have completely different colors and flavors, they have different spice levels (can you handle the heat of the green bean?) and different personalities. Which do you pick? Whatever the moment selects for you.

Pick a sauce: Tamarind vinaigrette, green curry or red curry. Read the fine print so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Top off your bowl with garnishes and toppings. Remember to enjoy it primarily because it’s good food. But you should also enjoy it a little more because it’s free. Feel free (pun!) to go all out and have no fear. This is the time to let your hair down and enjoy the pleasure of a free ShopHouse meal.

Photo: siliconbeachclearly.com