Hump Day Chomp: Local 16

humpdaychomp

Hump Day Chomp is a new weekly posting that intends, perhaps unsuccessfully, to make your Hump day a bit less humpy. We’ve found restaurants that are (mostly) cheap, rarely visited by our Georgetown amigos and, above all, pretty freaking good to get you through the week. 

To get you over this week’s hump, 4E is giving you some weekend plans worthy of day-dreaming about in Lau: A trip to our latest cheap restaurant pick, Local 16.

Although Local 16 describes itself on its website as serving, “the seasonal best from local growers with emphasis on organic meats and sustainable agriculture,” being the savvy, stressed-out Hoyas we are, we know the real reason to go there is the $23 Bottomless Brunch.

Dark and full of velvet, Local 16 appears to be a classic restaurant and bar upon entry, but if you go upstairs, you’ll find an open rooftop deck with lots of sunshine, foliage and a great view of D.C. — the perfect ambiance for an easy, breezy brunch.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 11.38.40 PM

Bottomless Brunch ends after two hours at the table, so we recommend that you know your order before you get there -—you have more important things to do, such as consuming as many Bellini’s/Mimosas/Bloody Marys* as you can get your hands on.

Game-of-Thrones-drink

Note: Plan to spend at least five minutes of your precious aggressive drinking time freaking out over the fact that the mimosas are served in giant Mason Jars.

Local 16 offers all your brunch staples, so there’s sure to be something for everyone.  I myself am a classic eggs, bacon and rye toast girl, but I was seriously tempted by the cheeseburger with home fries and the breakfast and chorizo pizza (featuring a fried egg in the middle).  If you’re already full from your mimosas, they also have granola and yogurt or an awesome grilled vegetable sandwich.

slide_312842_2803666_free

So as you sit in your sad cube in Lau, miserably contemplating the large collection of dried gum under that little shelf, take a minute to get together some friends for a reservation at Local 16. After all, there’s no better Hump Day motivation than the wise words of Blair Waldorf: “Have a little faith, and if that doesn’t work, have a lot of mimosas.”

slide_312842_2799223_free

Local 16
1602 U Street NW (To get to U Street, take the Metro to the U Street-Cardozo Station on the Green Line. Or Uber.)
(202) 265-2828

Brunch:
Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.

* For underage Hoyas, Local 16’s Bottomless Brunch offers juice, iced tea, or coffee instead.

Gifs: huffingtonpost.com, youcankissmysass.com; Photo: localsixteen.com