Off Campus Study Spotlight: Tryst

Do you have 6,000 pages of Plato’s Republic to finish by Friday? Are you sick of having people on Lau 3 glare at you when you rustle a page too loudly? Do you like animal crackers and lattes?

If any of these things apply to you, you’re probably looking for an off-campus study spot. LOOK NO FURTHER: Tryst is a café in Adams Morgan with a great bar area, comfortable couches, delicious and moderately priced food and drinks, and tons of young twenty-somethings wearing circle scarves with their noses buried in the newest Junot Diaz novel. It’s a great place to get some work done in a non-stressful environment.

I’m going to start off with the downsides of Tryst so that we can end this post on a high note (I’m all about the happy endings….okay, that didn’t come out right…but you get the point). Tryst is located in Adams Morgan which means it’s kind of a trek to get over there.

If the weather permits, it’s only a little over a half hour walk which is easy and nice if you have a friend or last week’s Guide Grooves playlist to accompany you. It’s approximately a $10 cab ride one way from the front gates, which is also not too bad if you have a friend or two to split the fare with. The café website has a whole section that explains the various methods of public transportation you can use to guide your trip!

The other downside, ironically, is Tryst’s popularity. When I walked into Tryst, I struggled to find an open seat and so I plopped myself down at the only empty stool at the bar. Those are, however, my only stipulations about going to Tryst every single day to study.

I personally cannot study without some sort of background noise going on to keep myself sane. Tryst supplies plenty of that along with some light background music to set the hipster-mood. I treated myself to a latte (which comes with animal crackers) and a super delicious Santa Cruz Bagel – your choice of bagel, topped with cream cheese, chopped basil, chives, scallion, thyme, rosemary and mint, served open face and drizzled with olive oil and fresh black pepper.

The girl next to me had a Belgian waffle that looked fluffy as fluffy can get and the man to my right ordered Hot Bacon Dip (which comes with potato chips) and also looked delicious. Next time I go, I will make sure to forego the morning Leo’s run and just stock up on the large selection of delicious treats at Tryst while I finish my weekly Spanish paper.

Let’s also talk about how this place is called “Tryst” and how that just sounds awesome in itself. It’s a great word. I’m going to use it more. Even in situations where it doesn’t apply at all. Maybe even as an adjective (i.e. That Nutella sandwich was so tryst, I can’t even handle it.)

All in all, I give Tryst a big thumbs up! Be sure to check it out when you get the time…and call me so that I can come with you…

Photo: trystdc.com