Workers’ Union Ratifies Contract with Aramark

Georgetown University Dining Services workers ratified a three-year contract with their employer Aramark Higher Education Thursday, exactly eleven months after their union was certified.

Workers from O’Donovan Hall, the Jesuit Residence, Cosi, Starbucks and the Preclinical Building’s Dr. Mug organized under the umbrella of UNITE HERE, which represents members of the food, manufacturing, textile and laundry services, last April.

A tentative agreement, reached in early February, included a 50-cent-per-hour wage increase for each of the three years and coverage of 80 percent of employees’ healthcare costs for the next two years and 85 percent during the third year.

“Contract negotiations [are] an experience I’ll never forget,” Dante Crestwell, a Georgetown University Dining Services employee and member of the contract negotiating committee, said in a statement published by UNITE HERE. “It showed me how much a determined and dedicated group of people standing up to the company and not backing down can do. We won with the help of Georgetown students, who fought alongside us and supported us from the very beginning.”