Epicurean Criminal Case Advances

In the latest development of the criminal case against Epicurean and Co. proprietor Chang Wook Chon, a status hearing will be held March 7, as was decided in Tuesday’s hearing.

Chon pled not guilty in November to the charge of criminal contempt for violating a court order issued during a 2010 civil lawsuit filed by four Epicurean employees who claimed Chon did not fully compensate them for overtime work. Following the plea, the jury trial was set for Feb. 12, though status hearings and motions have delayed the trial’s start date.

A status hearing is an intermediary step before a trial during which lawyers from each side update the judge. During such hearings, the trial can set another status hearing, announce a plea agreement or determine an official trial date if an agreement is unreachable. Additional status hearings are only held if there is sufficient evidence that the case is moving toward a plea agreement.

Barry Coburn of Coburn and Greenbaum represents Chon, while U.S. attorney Patricia Stewart heads the prosecution team. Coburn and Stewart declined to comment because the case is still pending, though Bill Miller, spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s office, said that there were no new developments in the case.