Malala Fund Partners with GW

The George Washington University partnered with 2014 Nobel Peace Prize recipient Malala Yousafzai and Little, Brown and Company publishing house to release a free online companion to Yousafzai’s memoir Nov. 13, aiming to help educators integrate her teachings on women’s education into university classrooms.

An initiative of GWU’s Global Women’s Institute, the classroom-resource guide was announced at an event that included a speech from Yousafzai’s father, Ziauddin Yousafzai.

“It is our hope that Malala’s story will inspire the next generation of leaders in the global fight for education for all girls and boys,” Yousafzai’s father said in a press release.

The guide expands on themes in Yousafzai’s memoir, “I Am Malala,” which was released in 2013. GWI Director Mary Ellsberg explained that the institute brought together faculty members to expand on the themes from multiple perspectives.

“It was important to us that the resource guide be interdisciplinary, making Malala’s message relevant to students and faculty across multiple areas of study,” Ellsberg said in a statement to The Hoya. “Each faculty member brought his or her unique perspective to the common goal of expanding on the message of an extraordinary young activist.”

The partnership originated when the GWI, which aims to promote the position of women and girls around the world, contacted Yousafzai after the announcement of her memoir, inspired by the 17-year-old’s efforts to draw attention to children’s education in Pakistan and her subsequent targeting by the Taliban.

“When we heard about the creation of the Malala Fund and her forthcoming memoir last year, we contacted them to see how we could support their efforts. Together we came up with the idea of developing a resource guide that would help educators use the memoir in both college and high school courses,” Ellsberg said.

GWU professors have used the resource guide in classes to supplement course material with positive effects.

“Students have been very enthusiastic about the memoir, as well as the essays and activities included in the guide,” Ellsberg said.

The Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security declined to comment on whether it would be interested in implementing something similar, but Assistant Director of the GIWPS Mayesha Alam praised the guide as an effective means to stress the importance of education for girls worldwide.

“This resource guide will be a great tool to reinforce the importance of girls’ education to peace and prosperity around the world,” Alam said in a statement to The Hoya.

The resource guide, which is available for free download, is available to other universities, and faculty members are currently working to create a new guide for high school students by 2015.