Riders, Advocacy Groups Express Concerns after Metro Implements Mask-Optional Policy

When masks became optional for riders and employees on Washington, D.C. public transport, Marianne Savane (COL ’25) said she immediately became concerned, rushing to secure sanitizing materials before riding. 

“I’m not super happy, and frankly kind of surprised that they went with this decision,” Savane wrote to The Hoya. “I bring a hand sanitizer spray bottle on trains and buses to clean public surfaces and always make sure I’m wearing a mask.” 

On April 18, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit (WMATA) announced a mask-optional policy for riders and employees on Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess services. The decision has prompted backlash from riders like Savane, as well as from local advocates like Marie Cohen, who serves on the Citizen Review Panel for the D.C. Child and Family Services Agency, and Phil Posner, Metro’s Accessibility Advisory Committee Chair. 

Updated federal guidelines led to WMATA’s decision to suspend its masking requirement, according to Paul Wiedefeld, WMATA general manager and chief executive officer, in a recent press release.

“Our mask mandate has been based on federal guidance,” Wiedefeld said. “We will continue to monitor this situation as it unfolds, but masks will be optional on Metro property until further notice.”  

Wiedefeld was referring to a federal judge who struck down the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) mask mandate for transportation services including planes and trains April 18. The ruling claims that the CDC did not follow necessary protocols when instating mask mandates for travelers.

@WMATA/Twitter | WMATA made masks optional on Metro rail and buses following a federal ruling, leading to criticism from local disability and child safety advocates who worry the loss of the mandate may put high-risk individuals in danger of contracting COVID-19.

Despite the federal judge’s ruling, the CDC still recommends that public transit users continue to wear masks. In addition, the Biden administration plans to appeal the ruling if public health officials deem it necessary.

The announcement comes despite a recent uptick in reported COVID-19 cases in D.C. due to the new omicron BA.2 subvariant. The 14-day average of COVID-19 cases in the District has increased by 223% in the past month.

WMATA will continue to utilize cleaning and safety measures to lower the spread of COVID-19 throughout the Metro system, according to WMATA Media Relations Manager Ian Janetta.

“Metro’s cleaning and air circulation protocols meet or exceed industry standards. Metro upgraded air filtration in stations, on trains, and on buses in response to the pandemic,” Jannetta wrote to The Hoya. “We continue to provide free masks in stations and on buses, and have observed a relatively high rate of mask usage even since the mandate was lifted.”

Despite these efforts, Savane said that she feels that the choice is inconsiderate of the safety of many riders, especially those with high-risk health conditions.

“I don’t think that they made the right choice at all,” Savane wrote.“Lots of elderly individuals and children take the Metro. Pregnant women who can’t drive take the Metro. A big portion of Metro riders are minorities too, so this move puts both immunocompromised and marginalized communities at risk.”

In response to the sudden decision to suspend the mask mandate, disability activists in the region, such as Cohen and Posner, have also been frustrated by WMATA’s decision. 

Posner recently urged Metro and its users to show sympathy for riders with disabilities, who may be at increased risk of infection or hospitalization from COVID-19. Posner said that while the federal ruling prevents WMATA from requiring masks, WMATA can and should recommend that riders wear masks on its trains and buses.

Savane said she worries about WMATA’s decision having harsh consequences on public health in Georgetown and throughout the District.

“I’m honestly concerned that more people are going to get sick and that more people are going to die,” Savane wrote. “Georgetown students are at risk too since many of them ride the Metro, so this move might even worsen an already worsening situation on campus.”