Staffer of the Week: Katy Berk (and the Editorial Board)

Once a week, The Hoya recognizes a staffer that has done a particularly awesome job — now you can get to know about them, too. As part of our Leavey 421 series, we’ll be posting quick interviews with each Staffer of the Week. This week’s staffer of the week went out to the entire Editorial Board for their phenomenal work. We sat down with Ed Board Chair Katy Berk to get this week’s SOTW dish.

1371216_10151935678180815_1180178939_n

Name Katy Berk
School College
Year 2016
Major History
Hometown Cambridge, Mass.
Positions on the Hoya Editorial board chair, Opinion editor

Why did you earn staffer of the week?

I’m the Chair of the Editorial Board and I’m also Opinion editor. This week was a huge week for us with the proposal of the Satellite Dorm. We have been involved in closed negotiations previously, and this was so exciting when this all opened up and we were finally able to talk to administrators one-on-one. We were also able to talk to Zach Singer and Nate Tisa to really get all sides of the issue and make one broad comment on it. We did three editorials and one 900-word piece weighing all the sides, showing the pros and cons and really trying to show campus all sides of what was going on. I think we pulled it off well and it got a lot of positive feedback from the campus community.

What’s your favorite part about working for The Hoya?

My favorite part about working for The Hoya is the handshake that happens after each production night. When we call in the issue on production night, the editor-in-chief (Danny Funt)  shakes everyone’s hand. It’s like all of this tension has built up throughout the night and then we just get to relax and hang out in the office until 3 am and it’s really fun. So I never thought I would like 2 am as much as I do and it’s all because of The Hoya.

You’ve just been asked to title Board Chair Evan Hollander’s biography. What would it be called?

I would title Evan’s memoir Off to the Races because that is the title of his column that he’s writing for us this semester. I think Evan likes to take a competitive, but fun approach to life. He really likes horse-racing and consulting and finance so that’s what I’d call it.

Pretend you’re making a teaser for the Ed Board as if it were a movie. What would it say?

Three staffers. Two community members. One weird table outside of Starbucks. 900 words about the Satellite Dorm proposal. What will they write about it?

On behalf of 4E, congratulations again to the entire Ed Board!