Staffers of the Week: Mary Nancy Walter and Danny Funt

As the semester comes to a close, Mary Nancy Walter and Danny Funt have seen the end of their terms as general manager and editor-in-chief, respectively. As a freshman writer starting at The Hoya, I certainly can see why so many look up to these Hoya legends. Both Mary and Danny seem perpetually calm and collected and – more importantly –  they always look fresh and fly. In fact, here’s how fresh they really are:
59204_10200191297084134_752882984_n

Name Mary Nancy Walter
School College
Year 2014
Major German with Business Coursework
Hometown Louisville, Ky.
Position on The Hoya  General Manager

Why were you named staffer of the week?
For a year spent in the role of general manager, leading the publishing division [of The Hoya]. But it really wouldn’t have been possible without the amazing staff of my division.

What is your favorite part about working for The Hoya?

Being surrounded by our incredibly smart and diverse staff who challenged and inspired me every day.

If you were going to write an autobiography, what would it be titled?

This is a tough one. I think I would go with “Hot Coals,” which references one of the best pieces of advice that my father has given me: “Let your kindness rain down on them like hot coals.”

What are you going to miss the most about being general manager?
Being able to spend time with the publishing division staffers and helping them out with some really awesome projects. Having my own desk was a nice perk.

253216_10151584109576311_566336177_n

Name Danny Funt
School College
Year 2014
Major Government and Philosophy
Hometown Carmel, Calif.
Position on The Hoya Editor-in-Chief

Why were you named staffer of the week?
I concluded my yearlong term as EIC on Nov. 23.

When I joined The Hoya as a freshman, my game plan was to write a bunch of articles by myself without having to deal with the rest of the staff. Over time, I realized how incredibly misguided that was. Looking back on my term as EIC, all of our accomplishments – from development of the Business Page to the GUSA Poll or the Game Issue – required a significant group effort. Given my mindset when I started, I’m proud that I achieved what I did without needing to receive Staffer of the Week before this.

If you had to choose a theme song for your life, what would it be?

“We’ve Only Just Begun” by The Carpenters. Despite all the good fortune I’ve had and great memories I’ve made, I like to think that the best is yet to come. That’s not greediness, it’s just a sense of potential for self-improvement. People say that college is the best days of our lives. I hope it prepares us for that time. Also, Karen Carpenter has the voice of an angel.

What are you going to miss the most about being editor-in-chief?

I’ll miss shaking hands with every senior editor after submitting each issue at 2 a.m. As opinion editor last fall, I stressed too much about what could be better, and I did that a lot early on as EIC, too. Yet when I look back on this experience in five or 10 years, I won’t remember bad headlines, copy errors or weak articles, and I probably won’t remember most of the things we did well, either. I’ll remember the teammates who made all those times so special. That shared experience is what I’ll miss the most.