BASEBALL | Georgetown Falls to UConn Twice Before COVID-19 Cancels Remainder of Series

With two hits in the first inning and the bases loaded in the third, the Georgetown baseball team was off to a promising start in its first Big East game of the 2021 season. The Hoyas, however, were subsequently shut out by the University of Connecticut Huskies in back-to-back games, and the remainder of the four-game series was canceled because of COVID-19 concerns. 

The Hoyas (0-3, 0-2 Big East) looked to challenge the Huskies (16-12, 2-0 Big East) early in their game on Friday. Senior infielder Eddie McCabe, an All-Big East First Team selection in 2019, rattled off a single to left field in Georgetown’s first at-bat. After two strikeouts, another single later in the first inning from sophomore infielder Andrew Ciufo was marred by a third strikeout. 

In the bottom of the second inning, the Huskies connected as designated hitter Kevin Ferrer scored and center fielder Chris Winkel stole home. The Hoyas quickly responded in the top of the third inning with a McCabe single followed by a walk and a bunt that loaded the bases with just one out. But with Georgetown within striking distance, UConn pitcher Ben Casparius led the Huskies to two more outs to close the inning. 

This was Georgetown’s last legitimate chance to reclaim the series opener. UConn scored two more runs off three hits in the bottom of the third inning to extend the lead to four runs. In the sixth inning, the Huskies got on base five times and scored three more runs. UConn won the first game 10-0. Winkel and right fielder Kyler Fedko were UConn’s main contributors, each scoring two runs. 

The Hoyas and Huskies returned to action Saturday, with the Hoyas looking to respond to the blowout loss. Georgetown, however, was more stagnant in this second performance. UConn scored a run in the bottom of the first inning following a walk and two singles, while Georgetown failed to record a hit until the third inning. Junior infielder Nolan Matsko hit a single on a 1-1 count and then stole second base. 

The Hoyas were unable to capitalize on Matsko’s single, and the Huskies continued to round the bases. UConn scored two more runs in the third inning and took a 6-0 lead in the fourth inning. Georgetown got on base again when junior catcher Matt Stone was hit by a pitch, but the inning quickly ended after a flyout and two groundouts. UConn won this second outing of the series 6-0, and the Hoyas logged just one hit in the game. 

GUHOYAS | Junior pitcher Jack Weeks concentrates on throwing a pitch to home plate.

Graduate pitcher Andrew DeRoche made his second start after debuting in Georgetown’s first game of the season. He pitched for three innings and an out, recording two strikeouts and allowing five earned runs. 

The Hoyas’ series with the Huskies was intended to be four games played over a span of three days. However, the Georgetown baseball program announced Saturday that the series would be cut short. 

“The remainder of the series, the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader and Sunday’s series finale, have been canceled due to an abundance of caution with COVID-19 concerns,” the statement read. 

This announcement comes amid a Georgetown baseball season that has already been up in the air; Georgetown was the last team in the Big East cleared to play this season and has only played four games up to this point, well behind its opponents, who have played 16 to 28 games. 

Despite the cancellation of the remainder of the UConn series, Georgetown’s season will continue. Looking for their first win of the season, the Hoyas will return home to face the St. John’s Red Storm (10-7, 1-2 Big East) on Friday, April 16 at 6 p.m.