BASEBALL | Georgetown Routed in Seton Hall Series, Loses All 4 Games

It was the top of the ninth inning, and Georgetown was inches away from pulling off an unforgettable comeback. With a runner on second base, the Hoyas needed just one hit to tie the game and put the pressure back on the Seton Hall Pirates. 

Georgetown (4-13, 4-10 Big East) was unable to convert, however, and Seton Hall (19-15, 12-3 Big East) escaped with an 8-7 victory. From there, the Pirates ran with the rest of the series, which began April 30 and took place over three days. Seton Hall swept Georgetown in a double-header May 1, closing the series out with a 2-0 win May 2 and earning the most conference wins in the Big East.

Both teams struggled early to kick off the series. Finally, in the top of the fifth inning, sophomore catcher Adam Dapkewicz converted a walk into a run to make the Hoyas the first team on the board. While Georgetown struck first, Seton Hall responded with an offensive onslaught, logging six hits and scoring seven runs in just the bottom of the fifth inning.

Though the Pirates took a commanding 7-1 lead, the Hoyas responded in the game’s final moments. A walk from Seton Hall’s closer Blaise Panzini spurred a rally. Star senior infielder Eddie McCabe connected on a single, sending one runner home, followed by a slew of hits, walks and balks that brought Georgetown within 1 point of tying the game. Despite the Hoyas’ efforts, Panzini threw a strikeout and clinched the victory for the Pirates. 

Georgetown had hoped to rebound on Saturday. In the first game, which was just seven innings, the Hoyas’ junior pitcher Carter Bosch logged three strikeouts and allowed just one run in over four innings. Despite his strong play, Georgetown could not generate momentum while batting. With just two hits in the game, the Hoyas fell to the Pirates 0-2. 

GUHOYAS | Graduate pitcher Nolan McCarthy celebrates after striking out an opposing batter. McCarthy pitched 6.1 innings for the Hoyas on May 2, letting up just two runs while striking out five.

The second half of the doubleheader was a change of pace from the defensive affair just hours earlier. A combination of good teamwork, errant pitching and solid hitting gave Georgetown an early lead, which they held onto until the bottom of the fourth. With a single from second baseman Connor Hood sparking a run, Seton Hall came roaring back and gained a 3-2 lead. 

The Pirates did not look back after taking the lead, racking up five more runs and eventually winning the deciding game of the series 8-4. Despite the loss, Georgetown graduate student AJ Lotsis turned in an impressive performance, scoring two runs in as many at-bats. On the pitching side, junior left-hander Jack Weeks fell to 0-4 on the season in a tough outing. 

The series concluded Sunday, May 2. Though the score matched Saturday’s first game, it was a far more lopsided outing. Left-handed Georgetown senior pitcher Tyler Burnham put on a show against Seton Hall, throwing a no-hitter. In nine innings, Burnham had 14 strikeouts and only four walks. For the Hoyas, batter after batter came up empty against him, and two singles from the Pirates drove in the runs they needed to complete the series sweep. 

This series was a crushing stretch for a Georgetown team that has struggled to find its footing in a season thrown amok by the COVID-19 pandemic. Following the Hoyas’ walk-off win in their last conference game against Creighton, another consecutive victory would be a massive achievement for the team. Now on a five-game losing streak, Georgetown is second from the bottom in the Big East standings. 

Despite the losses, a few promising moments have shone through. The Hoyas hung with the Pirates for several innings and kept the games competitive; generating the same level of success more consistently is crucial to transforming this season. 

Georgetown will return to the field Wednesday, May 5, at 6 p.m. EST against the Virginia Tech Hokies.