College Soccer: Around the Nation

Women’s No.1 North Carolina (6-0-1)

Despite losing seven members from last year’s team to Women’s Professional Soccer, the No. 1 North Carolina Tar Heels have returned forcefully this season and remain unbeaten through seven games. After defeating both then-No. 8 Texas A&M and Michigan State over opening weekend, the Tar Heels added victories over Missouri, Tennessee, Cal Poly and No. 17 San Diego State. In a rematch of the 2009 NCAA championship game, North Carolina faced off against No. 2 Stanford and drew for the first time in 2010.

Returning only four starters, the reigning national champions look to the leadership of senior midfielder Ali Hawkins, who enters her third season as captain. Senior Meghan Klingenberg and sophomore Amber Brooks round out the returning starters in the Tar Heels’ formidable midfield along with junior Courtney Jones – last season’s top scorer – who returns to lead the strong offensive front that has characterized UNC’s first few games of the season. Defensively, senior Rachel Givan, who was named to the 2010 Soccer America women’s preseason All-American team, will be leading a young backline this season.

Women’s No. 2 Stanford (4-0-2)

When Stanford kicked off its season three weeks ago, the Cardinal had only two goals in mind for the year: Capture both the Pac-10 and national titles. Last season the women’s soccer team went 25-1, reaching the NCAA championships for the first time and suffering its only loss of the season to No. 1 North Carolina in the final. Looking to avenge this devastating loss, runner-up Stanford has opened the season successfully with four wins and two ties. After tying then-No. 7 Boston College in its season opener, the Cardinal claimed victories over No. 23 Georgia, Boston University, Duke and Pacific. Defending national champion North Carolina gave Stanford its only other tie.

Despite the loss of Hermann Trophy winner Kelley O’Hara, Stanford’s lineup is strong this season with eight returning starters and nine reserves. Among these players are seven of last year’s eight top scorers, including senior forward Christen Press, the third leading scorer in the county. The Cardinal midfield will turn to returning All-Americans Teresa Noyola and Mariah Nogueira for leadership while fourth-year starting goalkeeper Kira Maker should anchor the defense. With a lineup like this, it is no wonder that Stanford is once again the favorite among conference coaches to repeat as Pac-10 champions.

Women’s No. 3 Notre Dame (5-1)

The Fighting Irish got off to a near-flawless start, winning their first four games in shutout fashion. A lot of the credit goes to senior goalkeeper Nikki Weiss, who set a Big East record last year with a goals-allowed average of 0.150. Spearheading the offensive attack is senior midfielder Rose Augustin, who already has four goals on the year. Led by 2009 Coach of the Year Randy Waldrum, Notre Dame began the season with wins over Minnesota, Wisconsin Milwaukee, Texas Tech and then-No. 8 Santa Clara. Their attempt at a perfect season died, however, with a heartbreaking 2-1 loss to No. 13 UCLA in overtime. The girls seem to be back on track now, having recently shut out Loyola Marymount.

Men’s No. 1 Akron (3-0)

After compiling a 23-1-1 record last season, the Zips are surely the team to beat. Returning three of its top-four points leaders from last season – senior Anthony Ampaipitakwong and juniors Darlington Nagbe and Michael Nanchoff – Akron will look to improve its end results from a year ago when they were defeated by the Virginia Cavaliers in the national championship game in a penalty kick shootout.

Men’s No. 2 Virginia (2-0-1)

This year, the returning champions will look to replicate a 2009 season in which they beat quality opponents in Wake Forest, Maryland and ultimately the Akron Zips in the national championship game. The Cavaliers will be returning their top points leader from a year ago, Will Bates, who had five game-winning goals last season, and starting goalkeeper Diego Restrepo will be looking to top his 16 shutouts from a season ago. Ranked second despite their reigning-champion status, look for the Cavaliers to come out of the gate with a chip on their shoulder and hungry to defend their title.

Men’s No. 3 Tulsa (4-0)

After an early exhibition loss to unranked New Mexico, the Hurricanes have rebounded nicely, winning their first four games of the regular season and attaining their highest national ranking in program history. Freshman goalie Ray Clark has more than exceeded expectations, posting two shutouts against Western Illinois and SIUE and only allowing a total of two goals in the team’s first four matches. Leading all Tulsa goal scorers for yet another season with five so far is junior sensation Austin Neil. The only question remaining for Head Coach Tom McIntosh’s team is whether or not they can win in a hostile environment, as all four of their wins have come on their home turf.