FOOTBALL | Bruised Hoyas Ready for Lehigh

FILE PHOTO: LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA Junior defensive back Dustin Wharton, shown here against Brown, had 11 tackles in Georgetown’s loss to Fordham Saturday.
FILE PHOTO: LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA
Junior defensive back Dustin Wharton, shown here against Brown, had 11 tackles in Georgetown’s loss to Fordham Saturday.
A week after a tough defeat at Fordham, the Georgetown football team (3-3) will face No. 10 Lehigh (6-0) in what is likely to be the Blue and Gray’s toughest game to date.

Sophomore quarterback Stephen Skon — who made his second collegiate start when the Hoyas took on the Rams last Saturday — has shown steady improvement, including throwing 18-for-34 and scoring two touchdowns in the Bronx.

“I thought we improved last week. Obviously, we’ve got to work on our consistency in all phases, but we had every opportunity to win that game last week,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said. “I think we’re building on the positives.”

But two straight losses — the first one a 37-10 Homecoming humiliation against Brown — have exposed considerable deficiencies in Georgetown’s offense and defense.

Although the Hoyas outgained the Rams on the ground — a credit to Skon’s improvement — Georgetown’s defense allowed Fordham to put up 316 yards through the air.

The Blue and Gray also lost the field position game, although Kelly was quick to give credit to Rams’ punter and kicker Patrick Murray, with Georgetown’s coach arguing that Murray was destined for an NFL career.

While Fordham benefits from players like Murray and a roster that includes 45 scholarship athletes, Lehigh is probably better still — making Georgetown’s task even harder.

“We lost to [Lehigh] last year in the last ballgame. They’re nationally A week after a tough defeat at Fordham, the Georgetown football team (3-3) will face No. 10 Lehigh (6-0) in what is likely to be the Blue and Gray’s toughest game to date.

“We lost to [Lehigh] last year in the last ballgame. They’re nationally ranked,” Kelly said. “They’ve won 16 conference games in a row.”

In another daunting list to overturn, Georgetown has lost 11 straight games to Lehigh. In fact, their last win over the Mountain Hawks came in 1925, when Calvin Coolidge was president and gas was 20 cents a gallon.

And last season, the Blue and Gray’s best in more than a decade, Lehigh thwarted Georgetown’s bid for the Patriot League title.

“Coach Cohen has done a terrific job there,” Kelly said. “They do a great job in all three phrases. [But] I really feel we can win this game.”

That means the Hoyas will have to clamp down on defense and complement the big tackle numbers put up by senior linebacker Robert McCabe and junior defensive back Dustin Wharton.

“We gave up some big plays on defense [against Fordham]. I really feel that if we score 31 points, we should win the football game,” Kelly said. “The offense didn’t finish, but neither did the defense.”

Also key for a win tomorrow will be more progress running the ball, something Skon and junior running back Nick Campanella did well in New York.

“Defensively, I like the game plan we’re going into the game with,” Kelly said. “Offensively, we’ve been able to run the football, and if we can do that, [we can] control the game and keep their offense off the field.”

Getting on track after two disheartening losses was always going to be a difficult task, and it will be even harder to get past Lehigh. However, Kelly thinks the team — which will be led by Skon again this week — is mentally up for the challenge.

“We have a lot of incentive, and actually, we’ve had our best week of practice that we’ve had this year,” Kelly said.

As one way of motivating his squad, Kelly pointed to the fact that Georgetown and Lehigh posted similar scores against their two common opponents — Fordham and Princeton — as evidence that the Hoyas are in the hunt.

“In our league, from top to bottom, there isn’t a whole lot of difference,” Kelly said. “It’ll be a barnburner, just like all our games.”

Kickoff against Lehigh is set for 1 p.m. tomorrow at MultiSport Facility.