Kirr Sets All-Time Assist Record

girlslaxAt just 5 feet tall, Jordy Kirr is invariably one of the shortest players on the field when she lines up at the start of a game. But what this fiery attacker lacks in size, she makes up for with intensity, heart and pure talent.

As co-captain of the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team, the senior attack was this season’s leading point scorer and helped guide the squad to the Big East regular season championship for the second consecutive year. With so many achievements under her belt this season, the senior attacker has deservedly been named The Hoya’s female athlete of the year.

For Kirr, the first and biggest accomplishment this season came when she was elected captain by her teammates last summer.

“I’ve always been a leader of some sort on this team, but I wasn’t sure how I would do in a captain position,” she said. “Once I was elected I knew it was my chance to lead, and I felt this added responsibility. It was an enormous honor for my teammates to name me captain.”

Kirr justified her teammates’ trust, leading the team with 52 points on 26 goals and a team-best 26 assists. Her spot atop that list is not only a testament to her skill and talent, but also to her selflessness on the field.

“I think what sets Jordy apart is how truly unselfish she is,” sophomore attack Dina Jackson said. “She’s definitely all about the team, and you can really see that in her stats.”

Kirr’s 26 helpers this season made her the all-time leader in assists for the Hoyas. She sits high on several other all-time lists, and in April became the first Georgetown player to have over 100 goals and 100 assists in their career. Her four helpers against Louisville propelled her to 101 career assists, which broke the program record of 98 previously set by Sheehan Stanwick (MSB ’01) in 2001.

“I think reaching 100 goals and assists would say a lot about any player, but to be the first one to do something like that is pretty amazing,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said.

Another first for Kirr came just last week when the senior was named to an all-Big East tournament squad for the fourth consecutive year. With this nomination, she earned a spot on the first team for the first time in her career and became the only Hoya to ever earn all-Big East team nods all four years. She was one of 12 players to earn the coveted distinction this season and the lone player from Georgetown.

“Breaking the 100-100 record and being named to the all-Big East team for four years in a row are huge accomplishments for Jordy,” Fried said. “They are two things she should be very proud of.”

Part of Kirr’s success during her senior season was her development as a player from the moment she set foot on the Hilltop four years ago. The attack had a banner season during her freshman year, earning second team regional All-American honors and being named the Sheehan Stanwick Rookie of the Year. But over the next three years, it was Kirr’s commitment and determination to improve that molded her into the all-star player she is today.

“Jordy really grew up and matured a lot over four years, not only as a person but also as a player,” Fried said. “She came in known to be one-dimensional as a feeder and really worked on her game to become a dodger and a multifaceted player. Having one of her best years as a senior says a lot about her and her work ethic.”

That hard work and intensity is something Kirr brings to the field every day, whether it’s in practice or in the Big East championship. It’s this level of effort that truly sets Kirr apart from both her teammates and other star players in the league.

“I think the thing you take away the most from Jordy is her work ethic,” Fried said. “She always gives 100 percent [effort], 100 percent of the time. She started every game she was eligible to play in, and to have someone not take that for granted and go out and work hard every game is pretty special.”

Combined with her bubbly personality, Kirr’s hard-working mentality has set an invaluable example for her younger teammates.

“She’s like the in-between player on our team,” Jackson said. “Sometimes she’s really relaxed and fun, whereas sometimes she’s more harsh when she know she needs to be a leader. I’ve learned a lot from Jordy, but the most important thing she’s given me is a great perspective on what I have to live up to as a member of this team.”

Kirr’s leadership skills were noticed by more than her teammates; her coach will readily attest to his star senior’s good attitude as captain.

“She has a very easy-going sense about her, but she knows exactly when to turn it up a notch,” Fried said. “Jordy deals with different people in different ways — she doesn’t just have a cookie-cutter type of mentality about the game. She knows when to be hard on people, and she knows when to put her arm around somebody — if she can reach that high!”

While Kirr may not bring the biggest physical presence to the field, she makes up for it with her contagious, energetic spirit.

“Sometimes when I would score on a difficult play, she would be more excited about the goal than I was,” Jackson said. “That’s an awesome feeling to have as her teammate.”

And while Kirr departs from Hilltop this spring with numerous awards, titles and records under her belt, what she will miss the most about her experience at Georgetown is her fellow Hoyas.

“What I’m really going to take away from all of this is 31 best friends,” the senior said. “Our team is unbelievably close — especially the senior class. I know for a fact that in the future, these girls will not only be my roommates and bridesmaids, but they will still be my best friends.”

The decorated senior leaves behind four accomplished years on the Hilltop, as well as a precedent for an exceptional work ethic and a high level of play.

“Next year is going to be really tough without her. We have a lot of players coming back, but we’re definitely going to have to step it up without her presence on the field,” Jackson said. “She’s left big shoes to fill.”