LITKE: Big Ben Playing Way into MVP Race

Nine weeks into the season, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger is making a strong case to be considered as a contender for the National Football League’s Most Valuable Player award after a record-setting performance in a 43-23 victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

Roethlisberger, known as Big Ben due to his large frame, has suddenly turned the Steelers into a team contending for a playoff spot. After a slow start to the season, Big Ben and the Pittsburgh offense have exploded during a three-game winning streak.

In a 51-34 trouncing of the Indianapolis Colts, Roethlisberger outperformed fellow MVP candidate quarterback Andrew Luck. He threw for an astounding 522 yards and set a franchise record with six touchdown passes.

He followed up this performance with another six touchdown passes and 340 yards in last week’s game against the Ravens, setting an NFL record for most touchdown passes thrown in consecutive games.

Big Ben certainly has MVP-caliber numbers this season, posting strong statistics across the board. He ranks second in the league in passing yards (2,720), completion percentage (68.3) and touchdowns (22). This is particularly impressive considering the slow start to the Steelers’ season.

However, Roethlisberger’s early-season performance should temper MVP expectations. The Steelers’ sluggish start to the season featured a 6-23 loss to the Ravens and an ugly 24-27 loss to the lowly Buccaneers. During those games, Roethlisberger threw only eight touchdowns and three interceptions.

He also has not been the only reason for the Steelers’ offensive resurgence; wide receiver Antonio Brown has been just as important. Brown, with 133 and 144 receiving yards in victories over the Colts and Ravens, has arguably been more dominant as a wide receiver than Roethlisberger has been as a quarterback. Brown’s 996 receiving yards and 71 receptions lead the league at his position. He has also been consistently strong throughout the season, becoming the first player to surpass 80 receiving yards in 11 straight games. He is currently on pace for about 1,770 receiving yards, which would be the fourth-highest receiving yards for a single season in NFL history.

Beyond Roethlisberger and Brown, the Steelers can expect to keep winning due to a number of unexpected additions to the team. Sidelined early in the season by a shoulder injury, Martavis Bryant was inserted into the lineup in week seven. During the Steelers’ three-game winning streak, he has developed into another weapon for Roethlisberger. His five touchdown catches tied an NFL record for most touchdown catches by a player in his first three games.

The return of linebacker James Harrison has been another factor in the Steelers’ revival. Harrison, a Steelers legend, came out of retirement to join the team after a number of key linebackers were injured. Since then, Harrison has been a defensive force, picking up two sacks in each of the last two games.

However, the Steelers sustained a number of injuries to key players last Sunday, which could hurt their momentum. Strong safety and star player Troy Polamalu sprained his knee and rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier injured his ankle. Both players are ruled out to play in Week 10.

Roethlisberger’s elevated level of play has earned him MVP considerations. If he manages to keep this torrid pace over the remainder the season, not only will the award will likely be his, but the Steelers will also be serious Super Bowl contenders.

Daniel Litke is a senior in the School of Foreign Service. CAPITALS HILL appears every Friday.