Red Sox Collapse Continues

Professional sports teams in Boston have love-hate relationships with their fans. Although mostly beloved in New England, failing to win is considered unacceptable, and of all New England teams, the Red Sox carry the most pressure to win year in and year out.

After a disappointing, injury-riddled 2010 season, expectations were at an all-time high after an eventful offseason that included the acquisitions of star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez from San Diego and the signing of left fielder Carl Crawford from divisional rival Tampa Bay. A revamped bullpen with the additions of Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler also suggested that the 2011 version of the Red Sox would be a serious contender for the franchise’s third World Series title in less than a decade.

But fast forward several months and baseball’s dream team found itself missing out on the playoffs entirely after surrendering a nine-game wild card lead in the greatest regular-season collapse in baseball history.

Injuries and the underwhelming performances of several crucial players created a perfect storm in September, leading to a horrendous 7-20 record. On the last night of the season it looked as though all would be well, as the Sox took a 3-2 lead into the ninth inning against the Orioles and the Rays found themselves in 7-0 late against the Yankees. but in a finale that was almost comedic if not so cruel, the Rays somehow managed to come back and win, while the Sox blew it against the AL East’s bottom feeder.

Naturally, questions of whom to blame were thrown around Boston, as someone had to be held accountable for the collapse. Manager Terry Francona was the initial scapegoat, and despite having brought Red Sox Nation its first title in 86 years (as well as its second just three years later), he was gone.

The parting of ways was said to be mutual, but it was evident that Francona was fed up with the situation. Word of his losing the players’ focus brought concerns about team chemistry and led to questions of how such an experienced unit could demonstrate such immaturity.

Just this past week in a disclosure by the Boston Globe, however, inside details of selfish behavior by players in the final months of the year emerged. According to the piece, Red Sox starters would often eat fast food, play video games and drink beer during games that they weren’t pitching.

There were also concerns with Francona’s personal use of pain medication, while longtime Red Sox such as David Ortiz, Tim Wakefield and Jason Varitek were either criticized for their poor performance or general lack of leadership.

Also this past week, General Manager Theo Epstein, who is largely responsible for putting the roster together, met with Chicago Cubs officials about becoming their newest GM. Epstein ultimately agreed to terms to take over the Cubs, but as of now the deal is still in limbo regarding compensation for the Red Sox, as Epstein was under contract for another year.

As further information continues to be released, it pains me that I rooted so earnestly for this selfish band of entitled individuals. In a business where players and executives are paid ludicrous salaries for what is ultimately just a game, their arrogance and lack of professionalism is disgusting. The blame resides with the players for failing to recognize the commitment involved to winning and to the community that is so passionate about the Red Sox.

In regards to Francona’s departure, I cannot help but feel bad for him. Despite personal issues involving his health and family, he remained committed to the team, and the players’ failure to recognize the brotherhood of a team had to be disappointing. Of course, not all players are responsible — second baseman Dustin Pedroia is credited with desperately trying to motivate his peers — but that was not the case with most.

In the front office, though, Epstein’s parting with the Sox is cowardly. Born and raised in a Boston suburb, Epstein is running away from a problem he created to try to become a hero in Chicago. Although he did help construct rosters that won two World Series titles, his performance deteriorated throughout his tenure. It’s hard to find a single big free agent signing that worked out for the Sox with the failures of the likes of J.D. Drew, Mike Cameron, Julio Lugo, Edgar Renteria, John Lackey and Carl Crawford, and he bears final responsibility for compiling a roster that just could not gel.

So what’s next? It appears that Epstein’s assistant, Ben Cherington, will take over as the GM, after which the search for a manager to replace Francona will begin. The Sox are still saddled with much of the same roster. The new front office will have to bring in a manager with a new attitude and better leadership on the field to begin the healing process for the Red Sox fan base in 2012.

Preston Barclay is a sophomore in the McDonough School of Business. TURNING TWO IN THE 202 appears every Tuesday.