Righting the Ship: Lewis Takes Over

lewis

It’s hard to believe that only two years ago, the Georgetown women’s basketball team was one of the hottest programs in the country. The graduation of a stacked senior class in 2012 and star guard Sugar Rodgers in 2013 left the Hoyas searching for scoring and leadership on the court. This fall, they’ve run into more serious issues off of it: Head Coach Keith Brown resigned last month after a WJLA report revealed that he had verbally abused his players, and Interim Head Coach Jim Lewis has been tasked with leading the program back to its former glory.   The Accusations On Oct. 1, the university released a statement announcing that Head Coach Keith Brown and Assistant Coach Tim Valentine had been placed on paid administrative leave while the university investigated the accusations of “unprofessional conduct” and “the use of inappropriate language.” According to the statement, the complaints were made two weeks before the coaches were placed on leave. The night that the coaches were placed on leave, five basketball players spoke out in defense of Brown. Sophomore guard Katie McCormick, freshman guard Tyshell King, freshman forward ShaylaCooper, freshman forward Faith Woodard and freshman guard Jade Martin emphasized that Brown was tough but never directed profanities toward any of the players. Though McCormick was the only player to play a game under Brown, the freshman players were recruited by him. Rodgers, a four-year star at Georgetown who now plays in the WNBA, also supported Brown. She told The Hoya that his coaching style was typical of any college coach. “Coaches are going to yell and coaches may curse, but what’s in basketball, players should be able to take whatever they say,” Rodgers said in an Oct. 3 interview. “Once you hit college, you’re basically grown — you should be able to take what people say.” The university denied The Hoya’s requests for interviews with Athletic Director Lee Reed and the players.   The Recordings and Resignation Nine days after the coaches were placed on leave, WJLA released audio that an unidentified player recorded of Brown after a Sept. 6 training session. In the recordings, Brown can be heard berating his players in profanity-laced tirades, at one point telling an unidentified player, “You’re a dumb f – – -.” Brown resigned hours before this recording became public. In another recording, Brown yells at an unidentified player saying, “[You’re] f – – -ing with me just to f – – – with me. Is that what it is? If you’re being defiant just to be defiant, you’re f – – -ing with me.” Three unnamed former players told WJLA that such language was common for Brown. “Yeah, I’ve been called like a ‘dumb F’ or ‘dumb M-F’er’ … It’s a completely destructive and harmful environment with what these girls are experiencing now,” one former player was quoted saying. “It’s upsetting and brings me back to places I don’t like to rethink.” University spokesperson Stacy Kerr told The Hoya that the investigation into the allegations was “nearing completion” when Brown tendered his resignation and that Valentine had been reinstated. The team was left without a head coach with less than a month to go before its season opener.   The New Beginning Georgetown named Jim Lewis the team’s interim head coach Oct. 25. Lewis, a coaching veteran who has been at the helm of high school, college and WNBA teams, draws many similarities to Brown. Both are local products who came with the recommendation of former men’s basketball Coach John Thompson Jr. and bring a high-energy approach to the sideline. They’re similar, but not the same. “I’m an extremely enthusiastic, upbeat, positive-reinforcing teacher,” Lewis said last week of his coaching style. “I really feel like my role is that of a teacher.” Lewis, who had moved back to the area to be near his adult children, contacted Reed after learning of Brown’s resignation. He’s qualified for the job, but an old friendship with Thompson certainly didn’t hurt his chances. “I mentioned, because I ain’t as dumb as I look, in the first conversation with Lee that certainly I know Coach Thompson. … [Thompson] obviously went down the hall and spoke to him — you know there are always connections.” With 44 years of coaching experience, Lewis could be just the stabilizing presence the Hoyas need to lead the team to a winning season. Taking the reins so late in the game comes with its own set of challenges, but Lewis isn’t intimdated. “[I will] just be myself,” Lewis said. “I’m going to treat them with great respect and keep the expectations high and let them know that I care. If they realize that I care, then they’ll accept the ‘no’ part better. But if you come like, ‘Well I’ve been here and here,’ that’s not going to get you anywhere.” Lewis says that the transition has been smooth, but a coaching switch this close to the start of the season can be difficult to overcome. When the Hoyas tip off against Richmond in their season opener Nov. 8, Lewis’ presence on the sideline will be as much in the spotlight as his players’ on the court.