Smith Concerned With Injury Risk

As part of the Georgetown University Sports Industry Management Graduate Program’s Speaker Series, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith addressed an audience of more than 300 at the Lohrfink Auditorium in the Rafik B. Hariri Building on Tuesday night. With students, professionals and members of several national media outlets in attendance, Smith delivered an introductory presentation on the current state of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Players Association’s fight for player health and safety as well as the finances of the game before opening up to a lengthy Q-and-A session.

At the end of the night, Smith transitioned from CBA talk to leave the student-dominated crowd with one guiding principle: “If you don’t dig what you do, don’t do it.”

The former trial lawyer fulfilled high-five and picture requests both during and after the Q-and-A in the midst of presenting and defending a convincing agenda for the union’s negotiations with league owners, a group that argues it can’t afford to continue with the current model of the CBA.

“Nobody’s hurting in the National Football League,” Smith said, leaning into the podium microphone and speaking with a professional swagger.

Smith noted that the league generated $9 billion last year and that franchises have grown 500 percent in value since the mid-1990s.

“The economic model is one that has not only been successful, but wildly successful in the worst recession of our lives,” he said.

So then why are the players facing a possible lockout in the 2011-2012 season?

“I wish we had better answers,” Smith said. He later expounded, saying, “All we’ve asked for is a deal that’s fair. You’re dealing with people who play [an average of] 3.6 years with contracts that are not guaranteed, and an injury means that you probably lose your job.”

In an attempt to illustrate his point, Smith picked on 19-year-old Patriot League special teams player of the week and Georgetown defensive back Jeremy Moore, who attended the event with several of his teammates. Using Moore as an example, Smith explained the Players Association’s health care concerns.

In order to vest for healthcare, Moore would have to complete three years in the league-just 0.6 years shy of the end of the average career timeline-as every NFL player must do under the current CBA. Moore, as Smith demonstrated, would have to risk injury in six extra regular-season games if the league moves from a 16-game to an 18-game season, as the owners have proposed.

“Good thing, young man, or bad thing?” Smith asked Moore.

“Bad thing,” Moore responded.

Questions from students and media focused on today’s hot NFL topics including concussions, traumatic brain injuries and player health and safety in general. Some inquirers asked Smith to delve into the nitty-gritty issues of negotiations such as the decertification process, the rookie wage scale and the way in which financial information is shared between the teams and the players.

In an interview with THE HOYA after his presentation, Smith explained what it’s like to work alongside NFL players, who to the average football fan can appear larger-than-life.

“At the end of the day, they’re normal guys,” he said.

Referencing New Orleans Saints quarterback and Super Bowl XLIV MVP Drew Brees, whose second baby boy is due next month, Smith explained, saying, “Right now, his issue is, `Are we going to have health care for my child in March?’ So at the end of the day, you’re not really dealing with the superstars of the game. You’re dealing with men, business men, and the business of football.”

In response to the ultimate question of whether there is sufficient motivation from both sides at the negotiating table to agree to a new CBA by next March, Smith reflected cautious optimism.

“I have to believe, and I do believe, that we want to keep the game growing, safe, profitable and fun for our fans,” he said. “And I believe that there are people on both sides who do.”