TENNIS | Women Prep for W&M After Successful Break

After a busy spring break that saw the men’s team (2-8) play three matches and the women’s side two during its trip to Florida, the Georgetown tennis teams have already returned to the court, with more matches slated for this weekend.

The women’s team (7-3) won two contests during the two squads’ joint trip to the Sunshine State.

Aside from the weather, the men’s squad experienced a difficult week, falling to Florida Atlantic 5-2, Barry 7-2, and Miami (Fla.) 4-0. The women’s team had more success on the road stretch, defeating Florida International 4-3 and Nova Southeastern 5-2.

Despite the mixed results, Head Coach Gordie Ernst said both teams enjoyed their stay in Florida and felt that, despite the the losses, the men’s team performed well.

“We had a fabulous time,” Ernst remarked. “We got off to a real slow start against Florida Atlantic. I think the guys still had their plane legs, because they just didn’t put forth an inspired effort. We regrouped and played a really good match against Barry, who is probably the best team in Division II. Some good things to build on for the next ten matches — we are in our home stretch now.”

The men’s team will kick off the weekend on Friday with a match against Bryant (4-5). Though Ernst was unfamiliar with the Bulldogs, due to the way the men’s team has been playing, he felt confident heading into Friday.

“I feel pretty good about playing against Bryant. I don’t know the program that well,” Ernst said. “I feel pretty confident that we match up well against them.”

Ernst hopes to be able to turn momentum from some recent strong play and the next few games into a postseason win for the Blue and Gray, saying now is the time for the team to step up and deliver.

“The whole goal here is to get a win in the Big East tournament. That’s what we’ve worked for all year and now it’s crunch time,” Ernst said.

The women’s team has three matches ahead of it, against James Madison (4-4) and Bryant (6-4) on Friday and then against a William & Mary team riding a seven-match winning streak.

Ernst was not daunted by the prospect of playing three matches in two days, though, expressing his belief that the Hoyas are up to the challenge.

“I think we’ll be fine,” he said. “We won some great ones in Florida, and they’re in great shape right now. Our girls are what you call gamers — they just show up and are ready to play.”

Ernst noted the strength of the competition, William & Mary in particular, but he thinks that Georgetown might just surprise some people.

“Obviously, on paper, they’re stronger,” Ernst said. “They look stronger, but like I said, our girls battle. We’ve been out of matches this year and we’ve stolen them just because we fight so hard.”

Both teams are entering the final stretch of the season and are hoping to use this weekend to propel them to a strong finish heading into the Big East tournament.