Werdiger | The “Djoker” Is Ready to Play his Ace of Hearts

Down a break at 5-4 in the third set after fighting to win three straight games, Novak Djokovic was mounting a comeback. The athlete with the hungriest appetite for victory, a selfish desire to be the greatest and a primal instinct to outcompete every last tennis player on Earth looked at peace. 

That single scene in the 2021 U.S. Open best encapsulates the most significant moment of Djokovic’s career. The world number one, who embodies the focus, poise and perfection of a fine-tuned Grand Steinway piano, broke down in tears on the changeover, soaking in the crowd’s cheers and encouragement.

The Serbian legend has spent his career chasing after the accomplishments of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, two of the most beloved athletes in all of sports. Djokovic’s career, on the other hand, has been followed by controversies.

In the 2019 Wimbledon final where Djokovic famously saved 2 match points against Federer, the crowd wildly chanted “Roger” throughout the match and applauded every error and double fault Djokovic gave up. Djokovic admitted after the match that he tricked himself into thinking that they were screaming “Novak.” 

Djokovic has done little to enhance his self-perception, but was put in a lose-lose situation before the show ever started. How do you establish yourself when the two giants of tennis are a lefty gladiator with raging biceps that can put 3200 RPMs on a tennis ball and a Swiss maestro who moves around the tennis court like a danseur? Not only does Djokovic lack their “wow” factor, but he also acts out on the court. 

To understand Djokovic, you have to dive into his childhood. At the age of 11, he woke up to an F-117 bomber dropping missiles on his town and scrambled to a bomb shelter. In the 90s, an embargo in Serbia meant Djokovic had to wait in line for basic necessities like bread and water.

“Going back to that, reminding myself where I came from always inspires me, motivates me to push even harder,” Djokovic said.

The 20-time grand slam winner, deeply affected by his traumatic past, channeled his emotions into tennis. He has thrown a fair number of tantrums on the court, smashed more than a few rackets to pieces, got defaulted from the 2020 U.S. Open for accidentally smacking a line judge with a ball and held a tournament (later shut down) with few COVID-19 precautions during the suspension of the Association of Tennis Professionals season last year. 

Recently, Djokovic’s refusal to get vaccinated against COVID-19 resulted in a messy quarrel with the Australian tennis federation, leading the Aussie government to expel him from the country.

These murky situations follow Djokovic around, despite his ability on the court. That said, Djokovic is authentic and sticks to his values. While Federer and Nadal claim they are happy with their careers and satisfied no matter what the future holds, Djokovic is upfront about the fact that he wants to finish his career with the most Grand Slam titles and break every record in the game. 

Critics highlight Novak’s arrogance in comparison to the surface-level humility of his rivals, but his position is genuine and stems from his life experiences. Without such courage and self-belief, Djokovic would have lost the “chase” before it even began. When Djokovic won his first Grand Slam title in 2008, Federer already had 12. Djokovic spent his entire career in the shadow of two players. Now, nearly 15 years later, he is on track to finish on top. 

At the 2021 U.S. Open, the crowd finally showed their admiration for a man of a caliber that may never be seen again. 

“I would like to say tonight even though I have not won the match, my heart is filled with joy and I am the happiest man alive because you guys made me feel very special on the court. You guys touched my soul,” Djokovic said after the match.

He may not have achieved the calendar Grand Slam nor hold the current Grand Slam record after Nadal’s Australian Open triumph, but Djokovic has accomplished something even more substantial in his career. And if you think Nadal will stay atop the Grand Slam record list, Djokes on you.

Robbie Werdiger is a sophomore in the College. Causing a Racquet appears online and in print every month.