Women’s Basketball | Regular Season Ends With 2 Losses

STANLEY DAI/THE HOYA Freshman guard DiDi Burton contributed a team-high 13 points as well as four assists and three steals in the Hoyas’ loss to Creighton.
STANLEY DAI/THE HOYA
Freshman guard DiDi Burton contributed a team-high 13 points as well as four assists and three steals in the Hoyas’ loss to Creighton.

When the Georgetown women’s basketball team started its season, it was hopeful, but it understood that there was a tough road ahead. Georgetown was a young team without any seniors to look to for leadership and was pegged to finish eighth in a conference of 10 teams.

When the Hoyas (4-26, 2-16 Big East) ended their regular season this past weekend, they finished in 10th place — at the bottom of the Big East — with a losing streak that extended to 14 games.

Georgetown played Creighton (17-12, 10-8 Big East) Friday in its final home game, then travelled to play Providence (6-23, 3-15 Big East) in their regular season finale. The Hoyas fell to Creighton 71-62 on Friday and were defeated by Providence 81-66 on Sunday.

Georgetown’s defense shined in the first half against Creighton. Sophomore guard Jade Martin came off the bench and sparked Georgetown’s defensive intensity early. The Hoyas forced eight Creighton turnovers and were able to capitalize on those miscues, scoring 15 points off turnovers in the opening period.

“Jade Martin was great,” Head Coach Natasha Adair said. “She rises to the challenge. She is tough as nails and I think she showed that.”

Offensively, freshman center Yazmine Belk led the way for the Hoyas in the first half. Belk poured in nine points before the break and helped to fill the scoring void left by freshman guard Dorothy Adomako. Adomako, who is Georgetown’s leading scorer this season, was held scoreless through the first 20 minutes of play.

The Hoyas started the second half trailing by a seven-point margin, but were able to claw their way back into the game despite trailing for the vast majority of the final period. A 9-0 run brought Georgetown within one point of the Blue Jays with just under four minutes left to play.

However, the Hoyas were unable to overtake Creighton down the stretch. Three Georgetown turnovers in the last three minutes of the contest allowed Creighton to extend their lead once more for a nine-point victory.

Freshman guard DiDi Burton contributed four points and a steal to the Hoyas’ late-game run. She finished the game with a team-high 13 points to go along with four assists and three steals.

“[DiDi] led the team tonight,” Adair said. “I think she had very good floor balance and focus. She put the team on her back down the stretch.”

Junior guard Katie McCormick also stepped up for the Hoyas. McCormick hit three three-pointers on her way to scoring 11 points.

Adomako contributed for the Hoyas after finding her rhythm in the second half, finishing with eight points.
“Coach told me that I needed to be patient and execute,” Adomako said. “I had to have more discipline on the court and I tried to come in the second half and do those things.”

Against Providence, the Hoyas trailed for the entirety of the game. The Friars scored their first basket 15 seconds after tipoff and never looked back. Georgetown trailed by as many as 16 points in the first half and could only cut the deficit to nine points before heading into the locker room at halftime.

Georgetown pulled within six points of the Friars early in the second half, but could not maintain that momentum. Providence eventually extended its lead to a comfortable 22-point margin.

Providence earned a 15-point win despite a valiant effort by McCormick. McCormick sank four three-pointers and exploded for a team-high 19 points, tying her season-high.

“Katie is one of our hardest workers, if not the hardest worker,” Adair said of McCormick, one of the team’s co-captains.

Sophomore forward Faith Woodard also shined for Georgetown against Providence. Woodard scored 17 points for the Hoyas, nine of which came at the free throw line.

Georgetown will look to build on these impressive individual performances as it prepares for the start of the Big East Tournament. Despite the team’s recent struggles, Adair is optimistic about the Hoyas’ postseason prospects.

“We are not done fighting,” Adair said. “This is not a team that has checked out. This is not a team that is not hungry anymore.”