WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Georgetown Wins Big East Opener, Falls at Princeton

Scoring its first goal just 34 seconds into the game, No. 13 Georgetown (2-5, 1-0 Big East) displayed offensive power in its first Big East victory over Villanova (4-3, 0-1 Big East) on Friday at MultiSport Facility. The Hoyas maintained their first half lead to beat the Wildcats, 17-12, but lost later in the weekend at Princeton, 12-11.

GEORGETOWN 17, VILLANOVA 12

Senior attack and captain Jordy Kirr started the offensive run with the Hoyas’ first goal, but the Wildcats responded to tie the game at one. The next 20 minutes proved to be the difference, though, as Georgetown’s 11-1 run made a Villanova comeback impossible.

Senior attack Jacqueline Giles tallied three goals in the run, while sophomore midfielders Sophie Thomas and Kelsi Bozel and freshman midfielder Hannah Franklin each put up two. With just three minutes left in the second half, the Wildcats scored on a free position shot, bringing the score to 12-3 at halftime.

“I thought in the first half we played very, very well. Probably the best we’ve played,” said Head Coach Ricky Fried. “We possessed the ball well, we played at pace, and we did all the things we talked about doing in practice.”

Sophomore midfielder Dina Jackson notched her second goal of the game to open the second half, and Thomas added two more to make the score 15-3. This three-goal run gave the Hoyas’ their biggest lead of the game.

A change in the Georgetown lineup saw several freshmen on the field in the second half, and Villanova quickly took advantage with a four-goal run.

“It’s something that we as coaches needed to do to help [the freshman] evolve and grow, because game experience is a lot different than practice experience,” Fried said.

With 11:24 left in the game, a freshman pair was given the chance to prove themselves, as midfielder Maggie Brown fed a quick pass inside to her classmate Megan Farrell, who buried the shot for her first career goal.

Giles added her fourth goal of the game with five minutes left to increase the Georgetown lead to seven, but the Wildcats quickly responded with two goals. Despite this 5-1 run, the Georgetown offense held on to its lead over the game’s final minutes and captured the 17-12 victory.

Georgetown outshot the Wildcats, 21-5, in the first half, but Villanova came alive after the break. The Wildcats outscored the Hoyas, 9-5, in the second half.

“Our biggest issue in the second half was that we got complacent and we didn’t stay focused,” said Fried. “That lack of mental focus can really hurt us if we aren’t able to stay focused throughout the entire game, whether it’s on defense forcing the right way or whether it’s on offense just catching and throwing. Those things need to be consistent regardless of who’s in the game.”

Overall, Georgetown’s offensive power shined, as the team capitalized on offensive rides and outshot Villanova, 31-18. Thomas led the offense with four goals and one assist, and Giles followed close behind with four goals.

In goal, Freshman Barb Black made one save in her second career victory.

PRINCETON 12, GEORGETOWN 11

On Sunday, Georgetown dropped its fifth game of the season to No. 12 Princeton. After taking a four-goal lead early in the second half, the Hoyas fell behind after a seven-goal run by the Tigers, who went on to win the contest, 12-11.

Princeton came out strong and took an early three-goal lead, but Georgetown responded with goals from Franklin and senior attacker Kathleen Dwyer. After a Princeton goal at 7:49, Dwyer and sophomore midfielder Rosie Corcoran each tallied one to tie the game at four. With just two minutes left in the half, Princeton scored to make it 5-4 at the break.

Georgetown exploded offensively in the second half, and a five-goal run gave the Hoyas a comfortable lead. Jackson and Giles each scored two in the run, while Thomas added one.

Princeton quickly regained its momentum, however, and a seven-goal run was the deciding factor in the Tigers’ victory. Dwyer notched her third and final goal with seven seconds left, and Kirr added the final tally on a free position shot with just one second remaining, bringing the final score to 12-11.

Georgetown once again displayed its formidable offense, outshooting the Tigers, 28-22, and winning 14 draw controls versus Princeton’s nine. The Hoyas also picked up more ground balls and forced two more turnovers than the Tigers.

On Friday, Georgetown will face Connecticut (6-3, 0-1 Big East) on the road in its second conference game of the season.