Women’s Soccer | GU Set for Big East Tournament

NATE MOULTON/THE HOYA Senior midfielder and Big East Offensive Player and Midfielder of the Year Daphne Corboz has 10 goals and 16 assists this season.
NATE MOULTON/THE HOYA
Senior midfielder and Big East Offensive Player and Midfielder of the Year Daphne Corboz has 10 goals and 16 assists this season.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team (11-3-4, 6-1-2 Big East) will look to build on last Friday’s 8-0 victory over Seton Hall (3-10-5, 0-6-3 Big East) when it travels to New York to take on St. John’s (11-7-1, 6-2-1 Big East) in the semifinals of the Big East championship Friday at 7:30 p.m.

If the Hoyas defeat St. John’s, they will play the winner of DePaul (15-0-3, 7-0-2 Big East) versus Marquette (10-8-2, 5-3-1 Big East) on Sunday at 2 p.m. on FOX Sports 1.

Head Coach Dave Nolan believes all four teams are capable of winning the tournament.

“I think it’s pretty open,” Nolan said. “St. John’s would probably be the weaker of the four teams, but having home-field advantage gives them every opportunity. DePaul at home and DePaul on the road are two different teams. They’re still the team to beat. It’ll be interesting [to see] the mentality of those kids, because they’ve already … [gotten] through the season unbeaten.”

Senior midfielder Daphne Corboz, named the Big East Offensive Player and Midfielder of the Year on Tuesday and the first player to ever win both in the same season, was pleased with how the Hoyas finished their regular season.

“Obviously, our goal was to win the regular-season championship, but DePaul is a great team,” Corboz said. “Getting the second seed gives us a spot in the semifinals, which is great. The bye in the first round should help our Big East championship pursuits.”

Against Seton Hall, Georgetown showcased its offensive dominance, as the Hoyas scored more than four goals for the first time since they put six past N.C. State and scored five against Towson in a three-day stretch at the end of August.

“I think the reason we were able to score so many goals against Seton Hall is we played well from the start of the game,” Corboz said. “We set the tone with our combinations early and scored within the first five minutes, making it easier to score more. Combinations in the attacking third is something we have been missing, and I think we finally did a good job of it Friday night. Let’s hope that it continues.”

When Georgetown last travelled to face St. John’s, it left New York with a 1-0 loss on Oct. 16, having pressed for but failing to score a late equalizer.

St. John’s reached Friday night’s semifinal thanks to a 2-0 victory over Villanova (5-10-4, 3-4-2 Big East) on Tuesday, a game which saw the Wildcats attempt the bizarre last-ditch tactic of pulling its goalkeeper to create a power play of sorts, leaving one of its centerbacks as a sweeper-keeper to defend the goal.

“They’ve got the goalkeeper of the year [Diana Poulin], they’ve got the Big East Defender of the Year [Georgia Kearney-Perry] and they’ve got last year’s Big East Offensive Player of the Year [Rachel Daly],” Nolan said of St. John’s. “So they have three good players up the spine of their team, which is how you build great teams.”

Nolan expected a similar game as the last one at St. John’s, though this time, the windy conditions and increased pressure may play a greater role.

“I think we’ll be a little bit more tuned-in to them, because we’ve faced them,” Nolan said. “You can talk about your opponents, and you can show video, but it’s only when you actually play against them that you can start to see where kids say, ‘Now I know what he meant.’”

When Georgetown switched to a 3-5-2 formation near the end of the October match against the Red Storm, the Hoyas created several late chances, including a Daphne Corboz rocket that hit the crossbar.

“I definitely feel they walked off the field against us the first time saying, ‘Wow, we got away with one there,’” Nolan said. “So I don’t think we will surprise them as regards to how good we can be.”

In addition to Daphne Corboz’s accolades, the Big East also honored junior defender Marina Paul on its First Team, senior goalkeeper Emma Newins, junior forward Sarah Adams and freshman attacking midfielder Rachel Corboz on the Second Team, and freshman defender Liz Wenger joined the younger Corboz on the All-Rookie Team.

The appearances of Wenger and Paul on the lists of honored players reflects a resurgent defense that, entering the conference championship, has conceded only two goals in the last six games.

“The defenders and defensive midfielders have played very well and have been key to our success,” Daphne said. “We have no returning defensive players, so it’s really nice to see them learn and become such a good defensive unit. They are very important to achieving our postseason goals.”