Drake and alt-J Headline Landmark Music Festival

MARCUS HANEY  alt-J, above, is headlining the inaugral Landmark Music Festival on the National Mall this weekend with co-headliners Drake and The Strokes. Passes start at $105.
MARCUS HANEY
alt-J, above, is headlining the inaugral Landmark Music Festival on the National Mall this weekend with co-headliners Drake and The Strokes. Passes start at $105.

Although the political climate is heating up in the District with the pope’s arrival this week and election season approaching, the musical community is also abuzz with some exciting upcoming events. West Potomac Park will be filled with music this weekend during the Landmark Music Festival, which will feature big names like Drake and The Strokes.

The Landmark Music Festival, the first of its kind in D.C., is partnering with The Trust for the National Mall, an official partner of the National Park Service working to restore and renovate the National Mall. Through the event, the Landmark Campaign aims to raise awareness about and funds for the deteriorating conditions of the grounds and monuments on the mall.

Let’s take a look at some of the most talked-about artists performing at the show:

With an exceptional year after the release of his album “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late,” Drake may be considered one of the most anticipated performers at the festival. Many songs from his latest albums, including “Legend” and “Energy,” have kept their place on the top charts for a good portion of the year. This week, Drake released a surprise mixtape with fellow artist Future called “What a Time to Be Alive,” describing it as “a little soundtrack for people that need it right now.”

One of the other highly anticipated performers is the indie rock band, alt-J. Known for its hit single, “Breezeblocks,” this English band has gained a loyal fan base in the United States. This group is also performing at the Boston Calling festival on Saturday, the same day it will be giving a performance in D.C.

The Strokes are another rock band performing at Landmark this weekend. Since winning the award for the Best International Newcomer at the 2002 Brit Awards, The Strokes’ popularity has yet to fade. Julian Casablancas, lead singer and songwriter for The Strokes, has his own loyal following and his own label, Cult Records.

Other notable performers include George Ezra, known for his hit single “Budapest,” Nate Reuss, best known as the lead singer of Fun, the Mowglis, The War on Drugs, Manchester Orchestra and more.
Landmark will also provide a variety of gourmet snacks for concert-goers, including food from Ben’s Chili Bowl, Beefsteak, Amsterdam Falafelshop and Old Ebbitt Grill.

CamelBak will also provide free water at hydration stations located all around the park. Festival attendees are encouraged to bring their own water bottles to help reduce the number of plastic water bottles at the festival.

Just a little further down the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial, West Potomac Park is easily accessible from campus. Instead of taking an Uber to the park, the most convenient method of getting to and from the festival from campus is walking. Biking is also encouraged as bicycle parking is conveniently located near the corner of Independence Avenue SW and West Basin Drive. SW. The Capital Bikeshare is also located right outside the front gates on campus and has multiple stations near the park.

For those who love the artists performing, but are unable to make it to the festival, Yahoo! will live stream the festival from the Landmark homepage on both Saturday and Sunday. But for those who have the time this weekend, the Landmark Festival is a perfect little weekend break for Georgetown music-lovers before midterm season officially hits.

Two-day passes start at $150, while single passes go for $105.