Georgetown Alumna, Violinist Wins Rhodes Scholarship

Courtesy Georgetown University
Courtesy Georgetown University

Georgetown graduate Hannah Schneider (COL ’15) has won a Rhodes scholarship to pursue a two-year master’s of philosophy degree in music at the University of Oxford. Schneider plans to specialize in composition while at Oxford.

Schneider, one of 32 Americans to win the scholarship in 2016, is Georgetown’s 24th Rhodes scholar and the first Georgetown student to receive the award since 2011.

While at Georgetown, Schneider majored in Russian and minored in government, achieving advanced proficiency in Russian, Chinese, Italian and Hebrew.

An avid violinist and conductor, Schneider deferred her Georgetown admission to study at the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory. During her time at Georgetown, Schneider developed a program with Carnegie Hall to find musical talent in the North Caucasus region of Russia, served as concertmaster of the Georgetown Symphony Orchestra and served as editor-in-chief of Ultraque Unum, Georgetown’s undergraduate research journal. Schneider is also a McTighe Prize winner, a 1789 Scholar and a John Carroll Fellow.

Schneider is currently the director of special projects for the Marinsky Foundation of America, a foundation dedicated to fostering greater partnerships between the United States and Russia through music and theater. Schneider also serves as an assistant to Russian conductor Valery Gergiev.

This article will be updated as further information is available.