Sailing | GU Posts Top Finishes at First Regattas

Courtesy Guhoyas The men’s and women’s sailing teams practice on the Potomac River. The sailing teams will look to defend their national championships this season. The teams will compete in the MAISA Championship in two weeks.
COURTESY GUHOYAS
The men’s and women’s sailing teams practice on the Potomac River. The sailing teams will look to defend their national championships this season. The teams will compete in the MAISA Championship in two weeks.

Last weekend was a busy one for the Georgetown sailing team. The Hoyas kicked off their fall season with three regattas — the Riley Cup at Old Dominion and the Navy Laser Open and Women’s Radial Regatta, both at the Naval Academy. In each race, Georgetown came away with top honors.

Georgetown posted first- and fifth-place finishes at the Riley Cup. The Georgetown team with the top score comprised sophomores Campbell D’Eliscu and Rebecca Fung in the A division and sophomore Claire Mohun and freshman Will Logue in the B division. Junior Roger Dorr and sophomores Noah Keller, Hannah Hess and Haley Shea made up the Hoyas’ fifth-place team.

At the Navy Laser open four Hoyas competed individually in single-handed competition. Georgetown junior Greg Martinez finished in first place with junior Jack Marshall finishing second. Junior Clay Broussard finished fifth for the Hoyas, while senior Tuckerman Jones finished in 17th place.

A Hoya also finished at the head of the pack on the women’s side in Annapolis. Sophomore Haddon Hughes took first place at the Women’s Radial Regatta with junior Lola Bushnell coming in third. Junior Rose Edwards and senior Emily Fung finished ninth and 19th, respectively.

“I think that it’s going to be a great season,” junior Meghan MacRae said. “We have a lot of people coming in this year and stepping up to the plate and taking over the leadership roles.”

For Georgetown, its opening weekend success was merely a continuation of the program’s historic dominance. The Hoyas entered this fall season coming off a succesful spring, during which they captured the Gill Coed Dinghy National Championship for the 13th time in school history.

In addition to this prestigious team accolade, several Hoyas were honored with individual awards in the spring. Most notably, then-senior Nevin Snow was named the Marlow Ropes College Sailor of the Year. Snow had also won the award at the conclusion of his junior season. At that time, he became the fifth Hoya to earn the title and is now the second Hoya to do so twice.

“We’ve had a great run of the best sailors in college,” Head Coach Michael Callahan said. “The hope is that the work ethic, the sailing ability, the way to make the boat go fast, [underclassmen] learn in practice from those sailors.”

Snow was also named an Intercollegiate Sailing Association Coed All-American Skipper. Joining Snow in receiving All-American honors were then-seniors Sean Golden, Isabelle Luzuriaga, Mary Kate Mezzetti and Bettina Redway. MacRae rounded out Georgetown’s All-American honorees.

“When I look around, with 13 national championships and tons of All-Americans, I feel like we’re definitely doing the right thing,” Callahan said. “Kids are coming, they’re sticking with the team, they’re enjoying themselves and they’re winning. I think that’s the best part of the whole thing.”

Having lost many talented seniors to graduation, the Georgetown team will rely on its returning sailors to fill the void as the season continues. Callahan is confident that his current group of upperclassmen has learned from their predecessors and is prepared to rise to the occasion.

“A big part of our team is the upperclassmen teaching the underclassmen,” Callahan said. “When [Snow] would go out and he would win a race at practice, he would tell the underclassmen exactly what he did — how he tuned his boat, how he sailed the boat — because he wanted them to get better to challenge him so the hope is that some of the underclassmen now have learned a lot from [Snow] and will start to pass that down to the newer kids.”

The head coach has set a high bar for this team this season. The program has proven it can win trophies, but now Callahan is asking his sailors to take on the new challenge of teaching.

“The goal is always to win everything, but the other goal is to really work with our newcomers and get them to be good and just keep imparting the knowledge of the upperclassmen down to the younger kids so that we can continue the legacy of doing well,” Callahan said.

Georgetown will be back on the water this weekend, competing in the Nevins Trophy Regatta and New York Maritime Fall Regatta.