FEATURE | Williams Resigns as Women’s Volleyball Coach

FEATURE | Williams Resigns as Womens Volleyball Coach
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA
Former Head Coach Arlissa Williams stepped down from her role in the Georgetown women’s volleyball team last weekend. Williams amassed an 8-22 overall record with a 2-16 Big East record. this season.

Georgetown women’s volleyball Head Coach Arlisa Williams resigned from her position Sunday, one day after finishing the 2017 season with a five-set loss to Creighton in McDonough Arena. It was the second time this season Georgetown was topped by the Creighton Bluejays after a four-set loss Sept. 22; similarly, on Friday, the Georgetown Hoyas fell in five sets to Providence at home.

Williams leaves Georgetown with an 8-22 overall record and a 2-16 record in Big East play for the season. Williams entered the 2017 season with the fourth most wins in program history, standing tall with 114 victories, before adding eight wins this season.

Overall, Williams accrued a 122-231 over 12 seasons. She had two winning seasons in 2008 and 2011 and one even season in 2010. Under Williams, the Hoyas consistently found themselves finishing their season in the bottom half of their league, and they never advanced to the Big East Championship tournament.

Georgetown’s Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Lee Reed announced Williams’ resignation Sunday in a statement to GUHoyas.

“I’d like to thank Arlisa for her many years of service here at Georgetown, and her dedication to both the program and her student-athletes,” Lee said.  “We are losing an experienced coach with a passion for teaching, and I wish her well in her future endeavors.”

Reed and the rest of the Georgetown athletics department began a national search for a new head coach immediately following Williams’ resignation.

In the 2018 season, Georgetown will return 13 letterwinners, five of whom started this season and one of whom, junior middle blocker Symone Speech, was named to the all-Big East Team on Wednesday. This marks Speech’s second consecutive post-season honor after being named to the All-Big East Second Team her sophomore season.

She is among five other Hoyas who also won all-Big East honors with Williams as their coach, and she is one of three repeat all-Big East selections whom Williams coached in her time on the Hilltop. Dani White won back-to-back second team honors in 2012 and 2013, and Vanessa Dorismond did the same in 2009 and 2010.

None of Williams’ players were available for comment regarding her resignation.

Before joining the Georgetown staff, Williams served for four years as an assistant coach at the University of Florida. While she was at Florida, the Gators reached two Final Fours and made an appearance in a national championship game in 2003. In her undergraduate years, Williams was a recordbreaking middle blocker for the Badgers at the University of Wisconsin where she was an All-Region honoree in both 1990 and 1991 and a three-time all-Big Ten selection from 1990 to 1992.