MEN’S LACROSSE | GU Suffers Overtime Defeat Against Johns Hopkins in NCAA Tournament

GUHOYAS
The Hoyas recorded 12 wins this season, the second most in program history and eight more than the team’s total last spring.

In its first appearance in the NCAA tournament since 2007, the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team fell to Johns Hopkins by a score of 10-9 in overtime May 13.

Senior midfielder Craig Berge and senior goalie Nick Marrocco led the way for the Hoyas (12-5, 3-2 Big East) in a tightly contested game: Berge notched a career-high six points, recording two goals and adding four assists, while Marrocco saved 11 shots on the day and held a 34-minute no-goal streak from the start of the second quarter until the final two minutes of the third quarter.

Five different Hoyas contributed goals in the game: Junior attacker Robert Clark earned a hat trick and junior midfielder Lucas Wittenberg scored two goals, while sophomore attacker Jake Carraway and senior attacker Matt Behrens each scored one goal.

The Hoyas conceded three goals within the first 10 minutes of the contest but settled down defensively and came back to tie the score at three at the end of the first quarter. Wittenberg contributed two goals, while Carraway scored the Hoyas’ third goal in the period.

Georgetown shut out Johns Hopkins (12-4, 3-2 Big East) in the second quarter and added three goals to take a 6-3 halftime lead. Berge played a part in all three goals, scoring the first goal of the quarter and assisting the other two.

The Hoyas continued to frustrate the Blue Jay offense at the start of the second half, allowing one goal in the third quarter. Berge and Clark each added a goal in the period, extending the Hoyas’ lead to 8-4 going into the fourth quarter.

Georgetown failed to protect its four-goal lead in the final quarter. Clark scored his third goal of the game, but Johns Hopkins responded with three goals in a span of 3:12 to tie the game at nine at the end of regulation.

The Hoyas won the faceoff at the start of the overtime period but turned the ball over and conceded the game-winning goal with 29 seconds remaining in overtime.

Despite the overtime loss, the men’s lacrosse team recorded the second-most wins in program history this spring with its 12-5 record, improving on its four wins from last season.

Two Hoyas, Marrocco and senior defenseman Ryan Hursey, received Honorable Mention All-American honors from ESPN affiliate Inside Lacrosse for their performances this season. The two seniors led the Hoyas’ strong defense this season, which allowed 8.12 goals per game, the eighth lowest total in the nation.

Marrocco, the Big East Goalkeeper of the Year this season, earned Most Outstanding Player at the Big East Championship and saved 658 shots, the fourth highest in program history, during his career at Georgetown.

Hursey, like Marrocco, collected multiple honors in his four years on the Hilltop. He was named to the All-Big East Second Team as well as the All-Tournament Team for his performances this year. The Chesapeake Bayhawks selected Hursey in the fifth round of the Major League Lacrosse Collegiate Draft.

The Hoyas’ coaching staff, composed of Head Coach Kevin Warne and assistant coaches Michael Phipps and David Shriver, earned Coaching Staff of the Year honors for the team’s performance this season. Warne also garnered Big East Coach of the Year in 2015.

The Hoyas will graduate 13 seniors this spring, including captains Berge and Hursey.