Football | Hoyas Cannot Find End Zone in Loss

In front of a sold-out crowd Saturday, the Georgetown football team dropped their home opener in a tight contest against the Campbell Camels 13-8.

Georgetown has averaged 346 yards of offense through two games this season
Ella Wan/The Hoya

With the loss, the Hoyas now sit at 1-1 on the year.

The rainy, wet conditions made for a low scoring game with plenty of big hits and defensive plays. Sophomore linebacker Wes Bowers led the Hoyas with 18 tackles — the third most by a player in program history. He also added a sack and three tackles for loss on the day.

Georgetown’s defensive captains came to play as well. Senior defensive backs Ramon Lyons and Blaise Brown locked down the Campbell receivers, recording eight tackles each.

“They’ve been through the wars. They have been through good times here and some of the toughest times on and off the field as a program,” Georgetown Head Coach Rob Sgarlata said.

The Hoyas generated two turnovers in the game. Sophomore linebacker Owen Kessler picked off the Campbell quarterback late in the first half and returned the ball to the 12-yard line. Georgetown added a field goal off the interception.

Later in the game, sophomore defensive lineman Duval Paul stripped the Campbell quarterback, forcing and then recovering a fumble. Kessler and Paul each contributed six tackles.

On offense, the Hoyas failed to capture key opportunities.

Junior quarterback Gunther Johnson connected on 17-of-34 passes for 201 yards. Junior tight end Isaac Schley grabbed a team-high four catches, while junior wide receiver Michael Dereus hauled in three receptions for 76 yards.

Sophomore running back Jackson Saffold led Georgetown’s rushing attack with 49 yards on seven carries.

“Gunther has done a good job of embracing Coach Spencer’s philosophy,” Sgarlata said. “I’m excited to see what he has in store.”

Special teams made a major impact on the game as well. Junior placekicker Brad Hurst sent two field goals through the uprights, the first of which was a career-long 45-yarder.

Georgetown’s other two points resulted from a high snap that sailed over the Campbell punter’s head for a safety.

The Hoyas will go on the road to face Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H., this Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.

The matchup marks the first of Georgetown’s three-game stretch against Ivy League opponents.