FIELD HOCKEY | Hoyas Split Latest Road Trip, Beating Longwood and Falling to James Madison

After splitting their first two home games of the season, the Georgetown University women’s field hockey team (2-2) took to the road for two early season tests against Longwood University (1-2) and James Madison (2-2). While both were closely contested battles, Georgetown beat Longwood 2-1 but fell to James Madison 3-2.

Early in the first matchup, Longwood had a few chances to open the game’s scoring. The Lancers had four penalty corners in the first period but were unable to convert any.

The scoreless tie extended into the second quarter, and Georgetown sophomore goalie Ciara Weets made two consecutive stops early to preserve the stalemate.The Hoyas, though shotless until this point, eventually found paydirt when senior midfield Jordan Sweeney found the back of the net to give the team a 1-0 lead. Entering the break, the score remained with the Hoyas out in front 1-0.

In the third period, the Lancers continued to test Weets with shots on net, but the sophomore managed to stop all four attempts. Just as the quarter was winding down, though, Longwood broke the drought and evened the score at one apiece entering the final quarter.

Both teams battled early in the final frame but failed to take control of the game. Then, with five minutes to go, junior back Ali Cronin scored her first goal of the season to put the Hoyas out in front 2-1. Cronin scored on a rebound attempt after junior back Anna Farley was denied in front of the net. Ultimately, this score held and Georgetown came away with the victory.

In an interview with GUHoyas, Head Coach Christy Longacre seemed pleased with the team’s performance in the win.

“Today was a great team win,” Longacre said. “They worked together all the way up until the last horn. Longwood is a great team that showed speed and skill and we stayed strong defensively.”

Two days later, the team traveled back south to take on James Madison. James Madison came into the contest having dropped two straight games against 20th ranked Liberty and 14th ranked Ohio State.

James Madison jumped ahead early to take the 1-0 lead after scoring nearly three minutes into the game. Putting the first goal behind her, Weets would then stop James Madison’s next two shots in the quarter to keep the Hoya deficit at one.

GUHOYAS | Freshman forward Ellie Maransky sets her sights upfield during the Hoyas’ latest road trip.

Early in the second frame, Georgetown scored on its first shot of the game when senior forward Lindsay Getz knotted the game at one apiece. Neither team managed to break the tie, though, after both teams had shots on net stopped, and the scoreboard read 1-1 entering halftime.

Halfway into the third period, junior forward Cami Osborne gave the Hoyas their first lead of the game when she scored her first goal of the season. The Hoyas would manage to hold onto this lead until about ten minutes remaining, but the Dukes evened the score on their second shot of the period. Soon after, James Madison recaptured the lead after midfielder Courtney Lynch found the back of the net for the 3-2 lead.

The Hoyas did not answer to Lynch’s go-ahead goal in the final minutes, and walked away with the 3-2 loss. Aiding the victory was the Dukes’ impressive total of scoring chances, as James Madison outshot Georgetown 5-0 in the quarter and 12-4 for the game. Following the split, the Hoyas now stand at 2-2.

Georgetown will once again be on the road for its next two matchups, traveling to Rider on Sept. 13 and Lehigh on Sept. 15.