FIELD HOCKEY | Hoyas Suffer Losses to Old Dominion, William & Mary

Georgetown’s field hockey team fell to both Old Dominion and William & Mary over the weekend, with these matches dropping the Hoyas’ record to 5-7.

The Hoyas (5-7) faced off against the Old Dominion Monarchs (6-4) at the L.R. Hill Sports Complex in Norfolk, Va., on Oct. 4. While Georgetown’s sophomore goaltender Ciara Weets successfully blocked six shots on goal from several of Old Dominion’s players, she was unable to stop senior back Rebecca Birch from scoring in the last five minutes of play. Birch was assisted by senior midfielder Alexandria Brewer on what was her fifth goal of the season.

While sophomore midfielder Halle Gill and junior forward Nell van Shaack both made attempts at scoring in the second period, their attempts went wide of the posts, and the Hoyas were unable to score. The second period saw Birch’s second goal of the game, this time assisted by redshirt junior back Marlee McClendon and sophomore midfielder Riley Taylor. 

The third period went scoreless, with two saves from Weets and a blocked shot from the Hoyas’ freshman forward Ellie Maransky. Just 31 seconds into the fourth period, senior forward Erin Huffman scored the third and final goal of the game for Old Dominion. Senior midfielder Michaela Bruno attempted to stop the shutout with less than three minutes left in the game, but was stopped by a save from Monarch redshirt sophomore goaltender Cam MacGillivray. The game ended in a 3-0 loss for the Hoyas.

FILE PHOTO: ELLIE STABB FOR THE HOYA | In a recent home game, junior midfield Kylee Cunningham looks to move the ball upfield. Cunningham has one goal so far this season, scored at Rider.

After Friday’s loss against the Monarchs, the Hoyas faced off against the William & Mary Tribe (5-5) at Busch Field in Williamsburg, Va., on Oct. 6, when they were unable to end their losing streak, which extended to four following a 5-3 start to the season. 

The first period was dominated by the Tribe, which battered at the goal, taking 15 shots while the Hoyas took none. Georgetown’s freshman goaltender Megan Maynes was able to stop eight of the shots on goal, but the Tribe still managed to score two goals. Senior forward Woodard Hooper made the first goal of the period for William & Mary, her fourth of the season. Junior forward Melanie Strik made the second goal of the period, assisted by sophomore forward Cara Menges. Menges went on to score the first goal of the second period, her second goal of the season. 

Senior midfielder Michaela Bruno recorded a shot on goal in the first two minutes of play but was stopped by sophomore goaltender Kimi Jones. Junior forward Cami Osborne shot on goal as well but was similarly stumped. Assisted by freshman midfielder Abby English, freshman forward Ellie Maransky scored the first goal for the Hoyas, adding to the scoreboard with seven minutes left in the second period. Despite three more saves by Maynes, William & Mary senior forward Annie Snead was helped to a goal by senior midfielder Christie van de Kamp.

In the third period, both Maransky and Osborne made attempts at scoring, but were unable to find the back of the net. Van de Kamp scored her fourth goal of the season for the Tribe with an assist by Snead and sophomore midfielder Jorja Morgan. 

The fourth and final period saw two more goals from the Tribe’s Menges and Snead, as well as a Georgetown goal by Osborne, assisted by junior midfielder Jax van de Veen and junior back Ali Cronin. The final score, 7-2, was reflected in part by the difference in shots from each team. The Tribe had 37 shots to the Hoyas’ 10.

The Hoyas face off against Temple University at home Oct. 11, the fourth game in their Big East series. They will then travel to Towson, Md., on Oct. 13 to play a nonconference game against Towson University and again to Loretto, Pa., to compete against Saint Francis University.