WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Adair Returns to Fill Head Coach Vacancy

GUHOYAS
GUHOYAS
GUHOYAS
GUHOYAS

The Georgetown University Director of Athletics Lee Reed will introduce Natasha Adair as the new head coach of the women’s basketball team Tuesday. Adair will replace Interim Head Coach Jim Lewis, who was hired last fall after former Head Coach Keith Brown resigned.

Adair, a former assistant coach for the Hoyas, returns to the Hilltop after serving as the head coach of the women’s basketball team at the College of Charleston for the last two years. In two seasons, Adair led Charleston to a 35-31 record, which included two Women’s Basketball Invitational bids. With these appearances, Adair became the first coach in Charleston’s history to lead the team to back-to-back postseason appearances.

“I’m very pleased to introduce Natasha as the new head coach for our women’s basketball program,” Reed said in a statement Monday. “She is a rising star in the coaching ranks and the success each of her schools has had is a testament to the hard work she has put in with her student-athletes. She will ensure that our young women develop both on and off the floor and we are very excited to welcome her and her family back home and to the Hilltop.”

Prior to coaching Charleston, Adair was on the coaching staff at Wake Forest for eight years. There, she held a variety of positions including associate head coach and recruiting coordinator. Adair was a member of the Georgetown coaching staff for six years from 1998 to 2004. When with the Hoyas, Adair was primarily responsible for coaching the post players and was key in the development of All-American and two-time WNBA champion Rebekkah Brunson.

Adair will be the third coach in as many years for the Hoyas and will be tasked with revitalizing a Georgetown team that struggled to a 4-14 record in the Big East and an 11-21 record overall.

Although they will lose senior forward and co-captain Andrea White and senior guard and co-captain Samisha Powell to graduation, the Hoyas will return seven players, including reigning Big East Freshman of the Year, center Natalie Butler.

A press conference formally introducing Adair will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at McDonough Arena.