Signature Seafood Off the Coast

JIWON NOH/THE HOYA While Yummi Crawfish is not on par with the best in its preparation, the food is good enough, and when paired with nice service makes for an enjoyable experience. Yummi Crawfish is a worthwhile trek to Wisconsin.
JIWON NOH/THE HOYA
While Yummi Crawfish is not on par with the best in its preparation, the food is good enough, and when paired with nice service makes for an enjoyable experience. Yummi Crawfish is a worthwhile trek to Wisconsin.

Although the Washington, D.C. area is not known for its seafood options, Yummi Crawfish is a moderately priced seafood restaurant within a short walk of the Georgetown campus. A relatively new location, opened in September 2014, Yummi Crawfish is a solid establishment for Cajun-style cuisine.

The exterior of Yummi Crawfish is not spectacular or particularly noticeable, but   once inside, the service is swift and friendly, and the atmosphere is relaxed and comforting. The walls are decorated in a nautical theme, and this casual style continued as the meals arrived on Styrofoam plates and drinks in disposable plastic cups. Customers are seated promptly without too much of a wait. The waitstaff is quite attentive of water glasses, knowledgeable of the many items on the menu and willing to answer all questions about Cajun dishes.  The seafood, although not the cheapest option for college students, was reasonably priced for the portion sizes. The restaurant mostly follows a “market price” model, so budget-cautious patrons should call ahead for price estimates.

The menu focuses on a small number of Cajun seafood dishes, including crawfish, crab legs and shrimp. The restaurant also offers a limited choice of non-seafood items. These follow in the Southern-inspired style, and include chicken wings, chicken tenders and jalapeno poppers. Although some meatless sides are available, such as sweet potato fries and spiced corn, this restaurant is not recommended for vegetarian or vegan eaters.

JIWON NOH/THE HOYA
JIWON NOH/THE HOYA

The lobster ($25) arrived in a hot plastic bag infused in a spiced broth. The Yummi signature seasoning was perfectly balanced at a medium-spiciness level, although other seafood seasoning choices include garlic butter, Louisiana Cajun, and Old Bay. While the medium spice level did complement the seasoning nicely, it packs quite a bit of heat, so spice-sensitive eaters should stay away from the more powerful offerings and stay with the mild flavor. The popular Yummi signature seasoning, however, is a robust and spicy combination of all the flavors offered, providing just the right ingredients for a memorable and savory meal.

The lobster meat was juicy and tender, and arrived whole following Yummi Crawfish’s rustic theme. Along with supplying plastic bibs, extra Styrofoam plates, and gloves, the waitstaff also offers quick lessons on cracking shellfish for first-timers. The broth at the bottom of the bag serves as an ample source of sauce for the buttery lobster claw and the denser meat of the lobster tail.

The rotini shrimp ($13) in creamy sauce arrived as a plateful of pasta loaded with onions, spinach and bell peppers, topped with five to seven shrimp and covered in a delightful sauce. The dish’s cream-based sauce maintained a rich and delectable flavor that did not overpower the delicate taste of the shrimp. The rotoni pasta was also perfectly sauced and complemented by a good amount of broccoli and spinach mixed throughout for added taste and texture. While the overall dish was very flavorful, it was slightly too heavily concentrated on the pasta, and it lacked in the quantity of shrimp that is central for a dish at a seafood restaurant. This unbalanced pasta entree could be further improved with a few more shrimp sprinkled on top.

Yummi Crawfish is a reliable Cajun adventure for those who have never ventured into Southern seafood cuisine. The service is remarkably friendly and attentive, and the seafood, although slightly reserved with its portions, is savory and well-prepared. Yummi Crawfish turns a walk to Wisconsin into a flavorful trip to a casual seafood joint.