Track & Field | Hoyas Set Personal Bests

The No. 15 Georgetown men’s and the No. 11 Georgetown women’s indoor track and field teams competed in multiple meets last week, with a selected portion of the men’s squad traveling to Boston, Mass. to compete in the Boston University Valentine Invitational on Feb. 13, while others were sent to the Spire Invitational in Geneva, Ohio on the same day. The women’s team sent runners to the Penn State Tune-Up on Feb. 20.

As the Big East Championships loom on the horizon, the men’s team continued to build on its momentum from past meets.
Senior Ahmed Bile set another personal record in the men’s invitational 3000-meter race at the BU Valentine Invitational. Bile clocked in at 7:51.77, finishing first place in the event. Bile’s time is currently the fifth fastest in the nation.

Junior Amos Bartelsmeyer followed Bile in the 3000-meter race with a time of 7:57.28, also a personal record. This time placed Bartelsmeyer third overall in the event. Senior Michael Lederhouse also broke eight minutes in the race, securing fifth place with a time of 7:58.46, another personal record.

These three athletes have enjoyed impressive seasons thus far, especially in Boston. They all ran miles below four minutes on the very same track earlier in the season at the BU Scarlet and White Invite.

In the men’s invitational 400m event in Geneva, Ohio, junior Ted Foster recorded a time of 49.52, a personal record. He led the way for sophomore Nick Sullivan, who crossed the finish line at 49.97 and junior Daniel Anderson, who clocked in at 50.13.

At the Penn State Tune-Up, the women’s squad also saw numerous student-athletes perform at a very high level. Senior Heather Martin continued her impressive season as she claimed second place overall in the 800m event, running a time of 2.04:93. She was followed by junior Emma Keenan, who finished in third place overall with a time of 2:04.97.

Both of these times were personal records for Martin and Keenan, and they became the sixth and seventh female student-athletes to break the time of 2:05.00 in the event in school history, respectively.

“I was pretty excited to break 2:05 because that was a personal best time for me,” Martin said. “It’s exciting to see that that’s where my fitness is at right now, and I know that I have a lot more potential so I am excited about the races to come.”

Graduate student Katrina Coogan led the way for the Hoyas in the women’s invitational mile. Coogan recorded a time of 4:37.29, capturing first place overall in the race. Freshman Audrey Belf ran a personal record of 4:43.13, securing third place. The Hoyas also saw sophomore Piper Donaghu run a time of 4:46.29, junior Sabrina Southerland clock in at 4:48.52, sophomore Kennedy Weisner record a time of 4:51.26 and senior Samantha Nadel cross the finish line at 4:51.55. These performances earned fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively.

“I think a lot of people on our team have been gaining a lot of confidence in themselves and in their ability to race,” Martin said. “When you start seeing yourself as a legitimate contender in the races it just helps so much. I think a lot of people on our team have been able to do that this season, and it is showing in their races.”

Sophomore Jody-Ann Knight led the way for the Hoya sprinters at Penn State. Knight competed in both the 60m and 200m dash, claiming third place in each with times of 7.84 and 25.32, respectively. Junior Ebony McKeever recorded a time of 59.40 in the 400m dash, securing sixth place.

The Hoyas also sent out two teams to compete in the women’s 4x400m relay. Martin, Donaghu, sophomore Aleta Looker and Nadel ran a time of 3:53.33, capturing third place, and the team of Southerland, Weisner, Coogan and Belf followed close behind, clocking in at 3:55.86 for fourth place.

Up next, both the men’s and women’s teams will travel to Staten Island, N.Y. to compete in the Big East Championship Meet starting this Friday on Feb. 26.