Women’s Basketball Preview 2016-2017

25_ramil_michellexu

Star Duo Leads Resurgent Program

Opponents of the Georgetown women’s basketball team will have not one but two major threats to prepare for when they take on the Hoyas this season. Georgetown’s backcourt duo of junior guard Dorothy Adomako and sophomore guard Dionna White returns to the court after an immensely successful 2015-16 campaign.

In Uncertain Season, Hoyas Exceed Expectations

The team’s performance was a major improvement from the 2014-15 campaign during which it showed bounds of inexperience and inconsistency, ultimately finishing in last place in the conference. The team returned 10 players from that roster, four of whom — guard Katie McCormick and forwards Ki-Ke Rafiu, Logan Battle and Dominique Vitalis — were seniors last season.

Senior Class Finds Stability

Three years since they first stepped onto the Hilltop’s hardwood, three seniors stand at the forefront of one monumental turnaround.

The Program’s Steady Rise Under Coach Adair

Over the course of the 2015-16 season, the women’s basketball team went from a 4-27, 2-16 Big East team to a formidable 16-14 (9-9 Big East) squad. While a talented group of Hoyas suited up for the team over these two years, it has been Head Coach Natasha Adair at the forefront of the team’s return to prominence.

The Ramil Sisters

“We were actually recruited a lot together,” Olivia Ramil said, looking back at her final years of high school. “But then, the one school that didn’t recruit us together was Georgetown, and it’s kind of funny that’s where we ended up.”

Transfers Make Immediate Impact

Last season, with a roster including 10 returning players and five seniors, the team quadrupled its 2014-15 season win total, finishing with a record of 16-14. This year, Head Coach Natasha Adair will add even more veteran leadership in the form of two transfers — junior guard Mikayla Venson from the University of Virginia and junior forward Cynthia Petke from Chipola College.

McDonough Maintains Its Own Energy

Though tucked in the corner of campus and obstructed by the Thompson Athletic Center for the past two years, McDonough Gymnasium makes up for what it lacks in location with its atmosphere.

Program Emphasizes Service

Over the past few months, Georgetown women’s basketball team has been busy both on and off the court. In addition to preparing for the upcoming season, the Hoyas have dedicated themselves to giving back to the community and serving the local D.C. area.

Big East Preview