DC Fashion Week Spotlights Innovative Designs

D.C. Fashion Week, a biannual showcase of both American and international designers, returned last week for its 27th season. Designers presented their innovative looks from Sept. 21 to 24, and each night

RACHEL LINTON/THE HOYA

featured a different theme and new display of creative genius. On Thursday, Sept. 21, designers displayed environmentally friendly and fashion-forward looks. One goal of the night was to provide a platform for high-achieving students to network and potentially collaborate with both consignment and retail companies.

Friday’s show showcased the breathtaking couture designs of DCFW’s executive designer and recipient of the Best Indie Menswear Award, Ean Williams. His collection combined chic womenswear with innovative menswear pieces.

DERRICK ARTHUR CUDJOE/THE HOYA

The Metropolitan Emerging Designers and Indie Artists Showcase took place on Saturday, Sept. 23 and included a wide array of ready-to-wear garments, ranging from swimwear to cocktail attire to business casual ensembles. The showcase took measures to be inclusive by featuring menswear and plus-sized collections.

The glamourous weekend concluded Sept. 24 with the 27th International Couture Collections fashion show, highlighting designs from experimental designers who often turn unusual fabrics into works of art. Designers from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Thailand and England, just to name a few, put their most avant-garde, formal designs on display. Celebrated eyewear designer Stevie Boi opened the show, setting the tone for a spectacular night.