MEN’S BASKETBALL | Led by Derrickson, Hoyas Defeat Red Storm in 2OT Thriller

Up five points with 15 seconds to go in the first overtime, St. John’s — still searching for its first Big East win — had over a 90 percent probability of pulling out a victory, according to ESPN. Georgetown junior forward Marcus Derrickson missed a deep three from the wing, but he was fouled in the process. Even as swaths of Hoya fans headed for the exits, a confident Derrickson stepped up and converted all three free throws.

Now down two, the Hoyas quickly fouled the Red Storm, who missed the first of their two free throws. Down three with seven seconds left, Derrickson took the handoff from sophomore guard Jagan Mosely seven feet out at the top of the key, swung the ball to his left hip and threw up a three-pointer with four seconds left, getting knocked down on the follow-through.

“I just looked at the rim,” Derrickson said in his postgame news conference. “And I made it.”

RICHARD SCHOFIELD/THE HOYA
Junior forward Marcus Derrickson scored a career-high 27 points while grabbing 11 rebounds in Georgetown’s 93-86 double-overtime victory against St. John’s.

After the improbable comeback at the end of the first overtime, the Georgetown men’s basketball team (13-6, 3-5 Big East) capped off a double overtime thriller by defeating St. John’s (10-10, 0 -8 Big East) 93-89 Saturday afternoon at Capital One Arena.

It was Derrickson’s most memorable game as a Hoya, as the junior finished with a career-high 27 points and 11 rebounds. However, he struggled early, missing 11 of his first 14 shots. Even as his shooting woes persisted, both his coaches and his teammates continued to run the offense through him and trusted his scoring ability.

“Tonight, it definitely helped,” Derrickson said, referring to his continued involvement in the offense. “Especially my teammates kept talking to me, ‘You got this. You got this. You can make these shots.’ I was just having an off night tonight. You know, I tried everything I could and then coaches kept throwing me the ball telling me, ‘Calm down. Be patient. You got it.’”

When crunch time rolled around, Derrickson was dynamite. Sixteen of his 27 points came in the two overtime periods. Head Coach Patrick Ewing (CAS ’85) has continued to be tough on  Derrickson, who he says can reach another level.

“I told both he and [junior center Jessie Govan] this is not time to be tired,” Ewing said. “This is winning time and you got to suck it up and play, and we were fortunate enough to make enough plays and when they made their run and went up, we didn’t bend our heads, kept fighting and were able to come away with a win.”

Coming off the historic trouncing No. 1 Villanova (18-1, 5-1 Big East) laid down Wednesday, the Hoyas came out of the gates sloppy. Georgetown turned the ball over seven times in the first nine minutes, but the players were able to keep themselves in the game on the defensive end.

With six minutes remaining in the first half, Govan, who finished with 16 points and eight boards, picked up his third foul, sending him to the bench for the rest of the half. With Derrickson at center, the Hoyas pushed the pace. Their small-ball lineup provided a spark, going on a 10-2 run and taking a one-point lead into halftime.

“When Jessie got in foul trouble, we had to find a way to adjust. We were fortunate enough to stick around. Marcus played well. Our freshmen — not even really freshmen anymore — they were able to play their best games of the year,” Ewing said.

Much of Georgetown’s energy came from the freshman duo of forward Jamorko Pickett and guard Jahvon Blair. The Hoyas’ two highest-volume three-point shooters have struggled as of late: Pickett made only one in the previous three games, while Blair missed 17 of his last 22.

On Saturday, they sank four apiece from three-point range. Pickett finished with 16 points and nine boards; Blair finished with 15 points in a season-high 34 minutes and only one turnover.

Coach Ewing lauded Pickett’s progress, as well as his all-around performance.

“He did everything. He did everything he needed to do to be a good player for us. He’s finally starting to believe in himself,” Ewing said. “That’s the Jamorko Pickett that I recruited. I was happy to see that he finally was able to get out of his shell and finally start to play the way that he played.”

Although it was against a team in the bottom of the conference, a gritty win like Saturday’s builds confidence for the Hoyas. A win this week at home against DePaul (8-11, 1-6 Big East), whom Georgetown defeated by nine points Jan. 2, would pull the Hoyas to 4-5 in conference play and into a tie for No. 6 with Marquette (13-6, 4-3, Big East) and Butler (14-7, 4-4 Big East).

“It’s a work in progress,” Ewing said. “We’re still working. We’re still evaluating. We’re still laying the foundation for years to come.”

Georgetown hosts DePaul on Wednesday night at Capital One Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. EST and can be viewed on Fox Sports 1 and the Fox Sports App.