MEN’S BASKETBALL | Last-Minute Woe Costs GU in OT Loss to Xavier

WILL CROMARTY/THE HOYA
Sophomore guard Jagan Mosely fouled Xavier’s senior guard Trevon Bluiett on a three-point attempt with 38 seconds remaining in Georgetown’s loss on Saturday. 

Despite a four-point lead over No. 6 Xavier with 38 seconds left in regulation, the Georgetown men’s basketball team could not finish the upset, as it fell 96-91 in overtime Saturday night.

The Hoyas (13-9, 3-9 Big East) are in eighth place in the Big East, 6½ games behind No. 1 Villanova (21-3, 9-2).

The teams played closely throughout the game, with neither team gaining more than a five-point edge. In the first half, junior center Jessie Govan scored 17 of his 23 points, helping the Hoyas tie the nationally ranked Musketeers at halftime. The teams were tied nine times in the first half.

For the game, Govan led four Hoyas who scored in double figures, including junior center Marcus Derrickson with 19 points and freshman guard Jamorko Pickett, who finished with a career-high 21 points.

Freshman guard Jahvon Blair, the other Hoya in double figures, scored 16 of his 19 points in the second half. Georgetown shot 47 percent in the second half and got itself in a tight last five minutes, which included three ties and four lead changes.

With 38 seconds remaining, Pickett gave Georgetown an 86-82 lead by making two free throws. However, the Musketeers came right back with their leading scorer senior guard Trevon Bluiett, who completed a four-point play to tie the score at 86. Bluiett finished with a season-high 31 points.

In the overtime period, neither team made a field goal for the first four minutes. Finally, after Xavier took a four-point lead, Derrickson knocked down a contested three-pointer to cut the deficit to 92-91 with 54 seconds remaining.

Xavier got back to the line on its next possession and converted both free throws to gain a three-point edge. Georgetown followed by running a play to Pickett, whose game-tying attempt from deep rattled out of the rim with 12 seconds left.

For the game, the Hoyas shot 45 percent from the field and gained a 38-22 advantage in the paint. However, they were plagued by foul trouble throughout the contest, especially in the overtime period, during which all 10 of the Musketeers’ points came from the free throw line. Govan fouled out early in the overtime period, and as a team, Georgetown committed 28 fouls to Xavier’s 16.

The Hoyas have a quick turnaround to make as they finish their three-game road stretch Tuesday night against Providence (15-8, 6-4 Big East). This meeting is the first of the season for the two teams, and the Friars swept the season series last year.

The game is expected to tip off just after 8:30 p.m. It will be televised on Fox Sports 1 and aired locally on 99.1 FM, as well as streamed live on the Fox Sports Go app.