MEN’S TRACK | Bartelsmeyer’s Efforts Cap Strong Weekend for GU

GUHOYAS
Junior middle distance runner finished 20th in the one mile event in Boston last weekend in which senior middle distance runner finished in fourth with the second best time in Georgetown history.
GUHOYAS Junior middle distance runner finished 20th in the one mile event in Boston last weekend in which senior middle distance runner finished in fourth with the second best time in Georgetown history.

Senior middle distance runner Amos Bartelsmeyer was named Big East Men’s Track Athlete of the Week after he finished the second-fastest mile in Georgetown’s history with a personal best time of 3:57.53 at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational in Boston on Sunday. Bartelsmeyer’s run was good enough for him to finish fourth in the meet and is one of the top-10 fastest indoor track times this season.

Director of Track and Field Julie Culley praised Bartelsmeyer’s work ethic and determination.

“The team was ecstatic for Amos. He’s definitely had some ups and downs and to see his hard work pay off is a testament to him and his persistence. We are so excited to see him race at NCAA’s,” Culley wrote in an email to The Hoya. “To be the second fastest time in school history says a lot, especially when his name is above so many of Georgetown’s greats.”

GUHOYAS
Junior middle distance runner Spencer Brown finished 20th in the one-mile event in Boston last weekend with a time of 4:05.25. In the same race, senior middle distance runner Amos Bartelsmeyer finished fourth with a time of 3:57.53, the second best time in Georgetown history.

Middle distance runners sophomore Jack Salisbury and junior Spencer Brown also had top-20 finishes in the mile, finishing in 17th and 20th place, respectively.

Freshman sprinters Kino Cheltenham and Lawrence Leake showed well in Boston, taking third and fourth place in the 500 meters, respectively. The runners finished within one second of each other, completing the race in under 1:05.

Cheltenham, Leake, sophomore sprinter Quincey Wilson and freshman sprinter Nate Alleyne led the Hoyas to a ninth-place finish in Boston in the 4x400m relay, finishing with a time of 3:17.53.

The Hoyas also competed in the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, this past weekend.

In Iowa, graduate student distance runner Jonathan Green finished 11th in the 5000m with a time of 13:46.80. Graduate student distance runner Michael Crozier earned a personal best in the race, coming in 15th with a time of 14:08.03.

Culley is hopeful Green will qualify for the NCAA Championship meet in the 5000m.

“Jon ran a solid race and he’s sitting 16th on the NCAA performance list and they only take the top 16,” Culley wrote. “With still a few weeks left to qualify, we’ll see how the season shakes out, but we are hopeful he’ll be in College Station at the end of March.”

Freshman middle distance runner Rey Rivera earned 12th place in the 800m in Iowa, followed by sophomore middle distance runner Kenny Rowe and freshman middle distance runner Ruach Padhal, who finished 16th and 19th, respectively.

The Hoyas will be back in action at both the JDL Fast Track Last Chance Invitational in North Carolina and the Alex Wilson Invitational in Notre Dame, Ind., on Feb. 17. The Big East Championships will take place Feb. 23 and 24 in Staten Island, N.Y.

Culley singled out the distance relays in particular as having important races next weekend at the invitational in North Carolina.

“We are racing both men’s and women’s Distance Medley Relays at the JDL UCS Invitational in Winston Salem, NC on Friday night. We are trying to qualify both teams to the NCAA Championships,” Culley wrote.