G-Eazy at the DAR Constitution Hall

AARON WEINMANN FOR THE HOYA

Dressed in an all-black outfit with his hair greased back and gold chains bouncing off his neck, G-Eazy turned the DAR Constitution Hall, a theater-like venue with carpeted floors, into a club last Saturday.

As he ripped through songs off his latest album “The Beautiful & Damned,” as well as a few of his other popular songs, G-Eazy inspired the audience to jump, sing and shout. Constitution Hall was transformed — doused in flashing lights as the audience, consisting mostly of young adults and teenagers, bopped their heads and pumped their arms.

G-Eazy, born Gerald Earl Gillum, grew up in Oakland, Calif., and rose to prominence after releasing his major-label  debut album “These Things Happen” in 2014. His third album “The Beautiful & Damned” was released in December 2017 and features artists like A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, Charlie Puth and current girlfriend, Halsey. On the album, G-Eazy uses his buttery vocals in an alluring and captivating manner to underscore the preeminence of his lyrics, which pair well with the beats in the background.

As the clock eased to nine, the lights dimmed and the audience screamed. The words “Part I: The Beautiful” appeared on the LED screen on the stage. As soon as G-Eazy appeared, the audience began to dance.

G-Eazy was not accompanied by any background dancers; rather, he dominated the stage and invigorated the audience with his presence. Confidently rapping “But a Dream,” he attempted to split the crowd in half, determined to see which side was “going harder.”  Covered in sweat and taking only brief, occasional breaks between songs to drink water, G-Eazy was extremely engaging.

Perhaps the most defining feature of the concert was G-Eazy’s ability to tailor his songs to the audience, adding an intimate touch  to the concert experience. He incorporated the letters  “D.C.” into his lyrics several times and, at one point in the evening, even brought an audience member onto the stage and danced with her for a few minutes. Later, before performing “I Mean It,” he spoke broadly about human nature with a humorous anecdote about never wanting to drink again while still wanting to go out and party.

After these dance-intensive songs, stars began to twinkle on the LED screen and G-Eazy asked everyone to turn on their flashlights. Gradually, the audience’s faces were illuminated as he rapped about letting go of the past in “Fly Away.”

Following this moving and expressive performance, there was a long pause. Suddenly, the words “Part II: The Damned” were projected in red. G-Eazy returned, decked in white and a fringe jean jacket.

In Part II, G-Eazy continued to hype the audience with songs like “Random” and “You Got Me,” which was a particular hit with the audience. Between songs, he spoke about his struggles as an artist and the importance of having a big imagination, as he once envisioned the nine people who showed up to a show early in his career as the immense crowd now cheering  in the DAR Constitution Hall. The impression these words left on the audience were vast: His vulnerable message gave the audience hope to succeed in their dreams.

G-Eazy dedicated “Part III: Epilogue” to his most popular songs: “Him & I,” “No Limit” and “Me, Myself and I.” Before starting, he revitalized the crowd by telling them he was only going to perform “platinum s–t” in this last phase. He ended the concert with a “message for the guy who lives next door.” As he coolly walked off stage “FDT (F–k Donald Trump)” began to play and the audience could be heard chanting the song as they left Constitution Hall.

G-Eazy gave a charming and authentic performance, projecting an enthusiastic desire for everyone to enjoy the night. Whether or not listeners are familiar with G-Eazy’s songs, his concerts are definitely worth attending — the party he throws rivals that of any club or bar.