WOMEN’S GOLF | Hoyas Finish 16th at the NCAA Austin Regional

GUHOYAS
Junior Alexa Popowitz finished tied for 15th place after the first round of the Austin Regional, carding a one-under par 71.             

Coming off its second consecutive Big East Championship win, the Georgetown women’s golf team competed in the NCAA Austin Regional, which began May 7. The Hoyas were seeded 16th out of 18 teams in the region.

The Hoyas won five out of 11 tournaments in which they competed this season. First-year Head Coach Kate Schanuel cited the leadership of senior Jacquelyn Eleey, junior Christina Parsells and junior Alexa Popowitz as key to the team’s success this year.

“Jacquelyn, Christina and Alexa traveled to every tournament. That is an accomplishment in itself and they led the squad throughout the year. Jacquelyn was our frontrunner. The key to our success was the depth we had on the roster. The team covered each other and we never got complacent,” Schanuel wrote in an email to The Hoya.

On May 7, the first day of the tournament, the Hoyas shot a combined 14-over par 302, finishing the day in 17th place. Georgetown struggled on the final four holes of the course, recording three double bogeys and dropping five spots. Popowitz completed her first round at one-under par, tied for 15th.

On the second day of the Austin Regional, the Hoyas again struggled on the final four holes of the University of Texas Golf Club course, recording seven bogeys and two double bogeys. Georgetown ended the day with a score of 16-over par 304 and remained in 17th place.

After two days, Eleey was tied with junior Pendleton Bogache as Georgetown’s low scorer. Both golfers were tied for 60th place with a score of eight-over par 152.

Parsells carded a one-over par 73 on the second day of the tournament, the Hoyas’ lowest score of the day.

The Hoyas carded their worst overall score on the final day of the tournament, a 23-over par 311, but moved up one spot and finished 16th overall at the Austin Regional. Eleey, who won the Big East Individual Championship on April 22, notched the best overall score for the Hoyas. She finished her final round with a two-over par 74, bringing her total score to 10-over par 226. Eleey finished in 49th place in the competition.

Eleey, the Big East Player of the Year, will end her Georgetown career with two Big East Individual Championships and three individual wins in her senior season. Schanuel emphasized the consistency Eleey has shown throughout her four years at Georgetown.

“Jacquelyn has developed into such a nice player. It is so great to have a player like her because you know what you are going to get and it helps the mentality of the rest of the team going into tournament rounds. Her hard work and dedication to the sport day in and day out is the basis for her consistent play,” Schanuel wrote.

Schanuel also praised the overall performance of the team in the Austin Regional.

“Austin was a great experience for the team. Everyone had at least one good round in the tournament but we could not time it to be on the same day,” Schanuel wrote.

The Georgetown women’s golf team will look to build on its success next year and will welcome incoming freshmen Baili Park and Samantha Yi, who both signed letters of intent in November 2017.