SOFTBALL | Georgetown Hits 2 Walk-Offs in Series Against Seton Hall

The Georgetown women’s softball team concluded its season on a positive note May 6 with a walk-off single to cap off a series win against Seton Hall.

The Hoyas (16-36, 7-13 Big East) took two of three games from the Pirates (19-35, 5-16 Big East) at Nationals Youth Academy in Washington, D.C. After Georgetown split a Saturday double-header, dropping the first game 10-2 and winning the next game 4-3, sophomore left fielder Sera Stevens’ RBI single clinched victory in the decisive Sunday rubber-match.

Stevens’ game-winning hit punctuated her productive afternoon; she led the team with four hits and two RBIs.

GUHOYAS
Sophomore starting pitcher Anna Brooks Pacha was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll for her performance against Seton Hall.

In the final game of the series, the Hoyas scored two runs in the fourth inning, but the Pirates responded with two runs in the top of the sixth inning against sophomore starter Anna Brooks Pacha to knot the game up at two runs apiece. Pacha settled back in and shut down Pirate hitters for the remaining innings.

Stevens drove in freshman shortstop Savannah Jones for the winning run, clinching the win for the Hoyas in 11 innings. Georgetown out-hit its opponents 12-5.

In the first game of the series on Saturday, Seton Hall jumped out to a big lead and did not look back, plating three runs in the first two innings and scoring all 10 before the Hoyas got on the board with two runs of their own in the sixth inning. Pacha started the game and was knocked out after four frames, striking out seven batters.

Georgetown faced a quick turnaround in the latter half of the doubleheader. The Pirates leapt in front in the top of the first, scoring on a sacrifice fly ball. Jones roped a two-run single for the Hoyas in the bottom of the frame, putting the Blue and Gray ahead 2-1. The back and forth continued when Seton Hall answered with two more in the top of the third. The score stayed 3-2 in favor of the Pirates until the bottom of the seventh.

In a preview of what was to come on Sunday, the Hoyas nabbed the win in walk-off fashion. With runners on second and third base and one out, junior third baseman Kelly Amen tied the game with a sacrifice fly ball. Sophomore first baseman Noelle Holiday then stepped to the plate with freshman outfielder Deirdre Gallo, the game-winning run, standing on third. Holiday grounded a ball that the Pirate shortstop bobbled and misplayed. Everyone was safe, and the Hoyas walked away with the doubleheader split.

Three Hoyas, senior outfielder Theresa Kane, Pacha and junior designated player Sarah Bennett were named to the All-Big East Second Team for their performances this spring. Kane broke the program record for hits April 29, recording her 194th career hit in a series against Creighton. Bennett led the team in home runs with seven, while Pacha led the Big East in strikeouts with 169. Both Pacha and Bennett will return to the team next fall.