WOMEN’S GOLF | Hoyas Finish 2nd at Princeton Invitational

Senior Christina Parsells tied a team record by shooting five under par 67 on Saturday.
GU HOYAS

The Georgetown women’s golf team placed second out of 12 teams at the Princeton Invitational last weekend with a school record of 596 strokes over the two day, 36-hole tournament.

As a team, the Hoyas finished 20 strokes over par for the weekend.

Senior Christina Parsells led all golfers in the tournament after the first day with a career-best five under par 67 at the Springdale Golf Club in Princeton, N.J.  The low score for the day also tied her own team record.

Head Coach Kate Schanuel described the bogey-free round as one of Parsells’ best performances.

“She did a really good job. She had five birdies spread throughout her round. She was very calm, focused,” Schanuel said in an interview with The Hoya.

The Hoyas put two consistent days together, with scores of 297 on Saturday and 299 on Sunday.

Georgetown sat in second place behind Penn State after the first day. Following another strong performance on Sunday, the Hoyas broke the university record with a score of 20-over par for the tournament.

Penn State went on to take the title with a 12-over par 588 for the weekend, led by seniors Carra Basso and Lauren Walker, who tied for sixth for the weekend.

Georgetown had strong performances across the board, with many players scoring among the best rounds of their careers, setting the tone for the stretch run of the season.

Senior Alexa Popowitz fired a round of 73, her best of the season, on Sunday to jump to a tie for 12th place after an opening round 76.

Senior Pendleton Bogache (76-75-151) was another key contributor for the Hoyas, as she carded an eagle on the par four third hole on Sunday and holed a 30-foot putt on her way to a tie for 20th.

Junior Ashley Fitzgibbons tied for 24th on the individual leaderboard, while sophomore Elizabeth Nguyen provided the team with consistency despite being Georgetown’s youngest team member. Junior Kate Evanko finished with a 12 over par score of 156.

Georgetown looks to use this record-breaking performance as momentum, continuing at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational in Sammamish, Wash. on Oct. 9 before their final tournament of the year, hosted by the University of Delaware on Oct. 20.