WOMEN’S SOCCER | Undefeated Hoyas Dominate Bluejays, Edge Wildcats in Overtime

KIRK ZIESER FOR THE HOYA | Freshman defender Boo Jackson has one goal this season, scoring in Georgetown’s win over Yale.

The No. 4 Georgetown women’s soccer team continued its undefeated start to the season over the weekend against a pair of Big East foes, dominating Creighton on Thursday before winning a thriller in overtime against Villanova on Sunday.

The Hoyas (12-0-2, 5-0-0 Big East) entered Thursday’s matchup against the Creighton Bluejays (5-8, 2-3 Big East) in Omaha, Neb. on a nine-game winning streak.

The Hoyas controlled the game from start to finish, winning 7-1.

Head Coach Dave Nolan praised the performance of his attack but noted that the score did not completely reflect the balance of the match.

“The score line was harsh for Creighton, who posed us some problems, but we simply scored some great goals,” Nolan said in an interview with The Hoya. “Our front four were very dangerous.”

Junior midfielder Paula Germino-Watnick opened up the scoring in the 16th minute with her second goal of the season and followed the goal with an assist to senior forward Caitlin Farrell in the 24th minute.

Sophomore midfielder Grace Nguyen capped off the first half with a shot from outside the box with a pass from graduate student forward Kyra Carusa, extending Georgetown’s lead to 3-0.

Germino-Watnick scored her second goal of the game in the 52nd minute, beating two defenders and putting the ball in the back of the net with her left foot. Less than a minute later, Farrell scored her second goal of the game off an assist from Carusa.

Creighton got on the board in the 56th minute. The Hoyas quickly countered as Farrell completed a hat trick, the first for a Georgetown player since 2016. Carusa added her third assist of the match to make the score 6-1.

Senior forward Amanda Carolan capped off the scoring for Georgetown with a goal in the 66th minute, assisted by freshman defender Boo Jackson.

In total, Georgetown outshot Creighton 26-5 and had a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.

The Hoyas returned to action Sunday at home against the Villanova Wildcats (9-5, 3-2 Big East). Georgetown clinched a 1-0 win in overtime after Farrell scored her 13th goal of the season and Carusa registered her seventh assist of the year.

The win marked eleven straight wins for the Hoyas, who are now ranked in the top four of the United Soccer Coaches weekly rankings of national programs.

Germino-Watnick had several chances in the match, including a shot in the 56th minute that hit the post before ricocheting away. With less than eight minutes to play in regulation, she sent a through ball right to the feet of Farrell, whose shot went wide of the net.

Each team was called for 12 fouls, and two Wildcats were given yellow cards.

Farrell commented on the physicality of the Villanova squad.

“That was something we knew coming in and we had to mentally prepare for,” Farrell said in an interview with The Hoya. “We had to match and make sure we were going in just as hard.”

Nolan was confident in his team’s response.

“The one thing about this team this year is that they rise to what’s thrown at them,” Nolan said. “If a team wants to kick them, we can deal with it.”

After a scoreless regulation, the match headed to overtime. While Villanova controlled possession for the majority of overtime, Georgetown pushed across the winning goal.

A breakaway opportunity in the 98th minute opened up space for Nguyen to send a pass to Carusa in the center of the box, who passed to Farrell on the right side. She rocketed a shot past the Villanova goalkeeper and gave Georgetown the 1-0 overtime win.

Farrell discussed how she approached the scoring opportunity.

“Honestly, I don’t remember too much of it,” Farrell said. “I saw that the goalie was on the other side, so I took a touch and tried to get it on frame.”

The shutout marked Georgetown’s ninth of the season, with eight of those coming in wins.

After Farrell’s four-goal week, she earned Big East Offensive Player of the Week for the second week in a row.

Next up for the Hoyas is a home game against Providence on Oct. 14. Providence defeated Georgetown 1-0 in Rhode Island last season.

Farrell emphasized the importance of the match against Providence.

“We’re all really looking forward to that game,” Farrell said. “That’s the one we’ve been circling on our calendars.”

This year’s game will also be Senior Day, where eight seniors will be honored in a ceremony before a 1 p.m. kickoff on Shaw Field.