GOLF | Teams Cap Fall With Top-6 Performances

The Georgetown men’s and women’s golf teams wrapped up their fall seasons last weekend with two top-six finishes.

GUHOYAS
Junior Hardin Councill shot a three-round score of 1-over par 214 this weekend at the ODU/OBX Intercollegiate, leading the Hoyas and good for 12th place overall.

The women’s team travelled to Rehoboth Beach for the University of Delaware’s Lady Blue Hen Invitational, while the men headed to Powells Point, N.C., for the ODU/OBX Intercollegiate, hosted by Old Dominion University.

The women’s team sent a squad of seniors Alexa Popowitz, Pendleton Bogache and Christina Parsells, as well as juniors Ashley Fitzgibbons and Kate Evanko to the Lady Blue Hen Invitational.

The women started out strong at the Rehoboth Beach Country Club with a season-low score of 291 in the early round on Saturday and followed their success with a 297 in the afternoon. Windy weather on Sunday led to higher scores across the board, but Georgetown turned in a 311, the second-best score of the day.

The Hoyas finished third at 47-over par, with a total score of 899. Seton Hall won the tournament with a three-round score of 890, and Delaware finished three strokes behind at 893.

Popowitz carded a season-best score of 70 in her first round, which put her in sight of the top three places. She was the Hoyas’ top performer at the end of the three rounds, turning in an 8-over par 221 to finish third overall.

Parsells finished in second place for the Hoyas, tying for 15th with a score of 226. In the final round on Monday, Parsells recorded a 3-over par 75 to move up 16 positions on the leaderboard.

Rounding out the top finishers for the Hoyas were Bogache and Fitzgibbons, who both placed in the top 25 positions. Bogache finished tied for 19th with a 15-over par 228, while Fitzgibbons tied for 25th. Fitzgibbons started the weekend well with rounds of 71 and 75 but fell back on the leaderboard with a 13-over par round on Monday.

Evanko missed the second round of the tournament due to illness but carded a 78 on Sunday, tying for second best on the team.

The men’s team finished sixth overall at the ODU/OBX Intercollegiate, played at Kilmarlic Golf Course.

Coming into the ODU/OBX Intercollegiate tournament, junior Eduardo Blochtein led the men’s team with an average of 73.18 strokes per round. Freshman Will Rand had a strong fall season, placing second on the team in strokes per round with 75.

The Hoyas carded rounds of 295, 289 and 291. Campbell University won the tournament at 34- under par.

Junior Hardin Councill led the Hoyas’ effort with a three-round score of 1-over par 214, finishing in 12th place overall. Blochtein tied for 20th place, carding a three-round score of 3-over par 216 (72-72-73). The two golfers were tied at 11th overall after two rounds, each recording scores of 143.