WOMEN’S SOCCER | Georgetown Reaches College Cup for 2nd Time in 3 Years

Senior forward Caitlin Farrell leads Georgetown with 18 goals and 39 points this season.
Sophia Nunn/The Hoya

From the opening whistle at Shaw Field on Saturday, the Georgetown women’s soccer team pressured Baylor’s defense, recording six shots and five corner kicks within the first seven minutes of the match.

In the eighth minute, Georgetown’s (21-0-3) sixth shot found the back of the net as sophomore defender Kelly Ann Livingstone scored off of a headed pass from graduate student forward Kyra Carusa. The goal marked Livingstone’s second of the season and continued the Hoyas’ offensive momentum.

The top-seeded Hoyas scored two more goals in the second half, securing a 3-0 victory over the No. 2 seeded Bears (20-6-0) to advance to the Final Four of the NCAA tournament.

Head Coach Dave Nolan said that the Hoyas earned their shutout victory over the Bears with strong performances from every player.

“This was an exceptional performance by the girls today,” Nolan said in a postgame press conference. “The results and the performance were very good. Sometimes you only get one or the other, and I thought we got both today.”

Georgetown’s second goal came in the 50th minute off sophomore midfielder Grace Nguyen’s corner kick. Junior defender Meaghan Nally passed to Carusa inside the box, who fired a shot for her tenth goal of the season.

Junior midfielder Paula Germino-Watnick put away the Hoyas’ final goal in the 75th minute, slotting a ball off a deflected shot by Carusa past Baylor’s sophomore goalkeeper Jennifer Wandt. Germino-Watnick has eight goals this season.

The Hoyas dominated possession throughout the match, holding the Bears to two corner kicks on the day while tallying nine themselves. In the first half, Georgetown generated 15 shots to Baylor’s zero, forcing Wandt to make five saves while senior goalkeeper Arielle Schechtman remained unchallenged in the net.

In total, the Hoyas recorded 24 shots, 11 of which were on goal, in comparison to the Bears’ six, four of which were on frame. Schectman secured her 15th shutout of the season with four saves while Wandt conceded three goals and tallied eight saves. On the season, Schectman has a 0.31 goals against average and a 0.917 save percentage.

Georgetown’s victory marks the team’s 21st win of the season, the most in program history. The win also sends the Blue & Gray to the Final Four for the second time in program history. In 2016, Georgetown fell to the University of South Carolina by a score of 1-0 in the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.

This year, the Hoyas will return to the College Cup to face North Carolina (20-3-2). North Carolina is coming off of a victory over UCLA, in which the Tarheels defeated the Bruins 4-2 in penalty kicks after two overtime periods. With a win against North Carolina, Georgetown would advance to the College Cup finals for the first time in program history.

Nolan said that Georgetown is looking forward to competing in the final rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

“The team is really excited to be going back to the College Cup for the second time in three years. It’s an incredible achievement for our program and these girls. They’re excited to go and continue to make more noise,” Nolan said.

Georgetown will next face North Carolina in Cary, North Carolina on Friday at WakeMed Soccer Park for the NCAA tournament semifinals. Kickoff is slated for 5 p.m. Nov. 30 in Cary, N.C.