What to Do in DC This Commencement Weekend

Hawaiian Cultural Festival

@SMITHSONIANNMAI/INSTAGRAM | The Smithsonian National Museum of American Indian hosts its annual Hawaii Cultural Festival to commemorate the life of King Kamehameha and celebrate Asian Pacific American Month.

The Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian is hosting its annual Hawaiian Cultural Festival in honor of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month from May 18 to 19 in the Potomac Atrium. Admission is free for all guests. The Hawaiian Cultural Festival explores the legacy of King Kamehameha, who united the islands and established a royal kingdom in 1810. The day’s performances include Lua, a traditional Hawaiian martial art for warriors, and the museum will display a royal Hawaiian regalia, a traditional and elaborate outfit for nobility that features vibrant feather capes. The festival also includes events like scholarly presentations, music, storytelling and family activities.

National Symphony Orchestra: Liszt and Rossini

In its series, “Unexpected Italy,” the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts celebrates Italian culture through music, opera, theater and other performances. On the evenings of May 16 and 17, the National Symphony Orchestra will play two masterpieces that center around Italian traditions of classical literature and music. In the program, Gianandrea Noseda conducts a cast of soloists playing “Stabat Master” by Gioachino Rossini, an Italian composer. The NSO will also present Franz Liszt’s “Dante” Symphony, an inventive piece paying mind to the Italian poet Dante Alighieri’s “Divine Comedy.”

D.C. Bike Ride

Washington, D.C., is constantly bustling with opportunities for athletic leisure, including running trails along the Potomac River and bike tours of the National Mall. This year’s annual D.C. Bike Ride takes place May 18. The event celebrates recreational cycling and active lifestyles for all ages and levels of experience. The D.C. Bike Ride is the region’s largest closed-road, car-free bike event, making it the perfect opportunity to go outdoors and peruse the beautiful views that the District has to offer. D.C. Bike Ride makes exercising an enjoyable experience and ends with a Finish Festival, featuring food trucks, entertainment and other activities.

Ankara Bazaar

The Ankara Bazaar is an African fashion show May 18 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the IDEA Public Charter School in the Deanwood community on 1027 45th St. NE. With event locations in Philadelphia and New York City as well this summer, Ankara Bazaar celebrates African, African American and Caribbean tradition through fashionable, stylish patterned fabrics called ankara. This daylong event also features an open market with homeware, music, dance performances, food and drinks.

ANKARA BAZAAR/FACEBOOK | Ankara Bazaar explores fashion through African and Caribbean textiles.

Dragon Boat Festival

The Dragon Boat Festival is a two-day celebration May 18 and 19 organized by the Taiwan-U.S. Cultural Association to promote Taiwanese culture in the District through dragon boat racing. Teams will compete in this canoe sport on the Potomac. Other festivities of the day involve cultural exhibitions and craft demonstrations. The festival takes place at the Thompson Boat Center at 2900 Virginia Ave. NW. In the event of weather forcing the organizer to cancel the event in May, the rain dates are June 15 and 16.

Anne Frank Tour

Washington, D.C. History and Culture, a nonprofit organization, is coordinating a two-hour guided tour focusing on the the life of Anne Frank at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Visitors meet May 18 at 10:30 a.m. in front of the museum entrance on 14th Street. The tour primarily explores the museum’s permanent exhibit as it relates to Frank’s diaries and her striking story, especially timely given Frank’s upcoming 90th birthday June 12. After the tour, participants are invited to have a lunch discussion in the museum’s cafe about their thoughts of the tour. The event is hosted by Robert Kelleman, founder of the Washington, D.C. History and Culture organization and member of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Registration can be found on Eventbrite for $8 per person.

Yoga on the Mall

DC YOGA WEEK/FACEBOOK | Over 7,000 participants convene at the National Mall with their yoga mats to enjoy the summer morning. Yoga is a great practice to exercise both body and mind.

Metro D.C. Community Yoga will host its 14th annual event on the National Mall. Newcomers to yoga and longtime yoga experts alike can bring their mat to the Lincoln Memorial on May 19 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. While Yoga on the Mall started with a few yogis, the event now attracts more than 7,000 participants. The suggested donation of $5 to $10 goes to help organizing and sponsoring Yoga on the Mall as well as D.C. Yoga Week. All remaining funds go to One Common Unity, a nonprofit organization that advocates anti-violence and builds community through music, arts and peace education.

OysterFest

Come join Hank’s Oyster Bar at DuPont Circle on May 18 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to celebrate its annual OysterFest. This year marks the restaurant’s 14th anniversary. Hank’s Oyster Bar is hosting an all-you-can-eat-and-drink oyster extravaganza for guests over 21. The buffet features a selection of old and new favorites, including fried popcorn shrimp, calamari, BBQ pork ribs, corn on the cob, German potato salad and housemade potato chips. An array of cocktails, beers and wines will also accompany the meal. Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite for $135 per person.